LumberJocks

Removing 2" from height of Piano Bench

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Don posted 231 days ago 550 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Don's profile

Don

491 posts in 1876 days


231 days ago

Topic tags/keywords: question joining refurbishing

Hey folks….

So, a client contacted me and asked if I could remove about 2” in height from her Piano bench. She purchased a new cushion and it’s raised everything up.

From what I can see from the pictures, all joints are glued and the only way I can see being able to remove 2” is to dis-assemble the whole thing so I can trim the 2” off each leg at the Mitre Saw.

Does anyone have an idea on how to accomplish what I need to do without destroying this thing?

Cheers…Don

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca


7 replies so far

View JADobson's profile

JADobson

290 posts in 745 days


#1 posted 231 days ago

I would cut the legs flush with the base then chop mortises into the base. I would trim down the leg the required amount while leaving a tenon that could be reinserted into the base. Glue it up and you’re good to go. Someone with more experience than me probably has a better idea though.

-- James

View JustJoe's profile

JustJoe

1554 posts in 672 days


#2 posted 231 days ago

Is there another pic that shows how the legs attach to the bottom of the seat? Maybe you’d get lucky and they attach there like most modern tables or benches in which case a couple of seconds with a screwgun should take them apart.

-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

5352 posts in 2219 days


#3 posted 231 days ago

Make a two inch gash in the floor in front of the piano or chuck out her new cushion.
Imagine altering furniture because you bought a cushion what on earth is happening to the world ? Have we no clear thinkers anymore ? Short term-ism is what she suffers from The old woodworking bench could still be here in two hundred years if you leave it alone.Or buy a cheap smaller one to last till eventually the day comes when ,
the lady gets fatter and the cushion gets flatter .Then she will phone you to add two inches to her cut up bench. LOL Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View ColonelTravis's profile

ColonelTravis

571 posts in 528 days


#4 posted 231 days ago

Agree with trying the seat end first. Even if there aren’t screws, just going by your photo it looks like much less effort than shortening at the base end. I had a very crappy workbench I shortened that had a base sort of like that, and I wanted to tackle it from the top but could not. What I did was idiotic because I was a more of an idiot then than I am now. Not much more but enough.

View RHaynes's profile

RHaynes

88 posts in 254 days


#5 posted 231 days ago

Couldn’t you cut 2” out of the all the legs, at the top, bottom or even middle, then drill out space in the middle for a steel rod or 1” hardwood dowel? Reassemble with the now-shorter legs reinforced in this manner. Sand and touch up the finish on the spot where you cut. If not, I’m with JustJoe—make your cuts where the legs meet the feet, take 2” off there then reassemble either with M&T or screw up through the feet into the legs.

-- "Sometimes the creative process requires foul language." -- Charles Neil.

View TurnTurnTurn's profile

TurnTurnTurn

585 posts in 1743 days


#6 posted 231 days ago

I think it wood (would) be easier to put a 2 inch block of wood under each corner of the piano. lol

-- TurnTurnTurn

View Don's profile

Don

491 posts in 1876 days


#7 posted 228 days ago

It’s update time….

So, I went to see the lady with full intentions of mumbling some excuse about it being too difficult or something like that but when she flipped it over, all excuses except ‘I don’t want to’ went out the window. This is too easy. Three screws per side held the leg assembly to the seat and all joints were already loose.

After a quick dis-assembly, I discovered that it had already been modified before and held together with rather massive screws. I took it apart, whacked 2 3/4” off each leg and reassembled.

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase