Advice on repairing shrinkage damage?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Craftsman on the lake posted 12-19-2013 12:45 AM 836 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2781 posts in 3401 days

12-19-2013 12:45 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I have an entertainment center that I made a few months ago. The top mostly maple and framed with a 3” wide border of cherry that is 45’d at the corners. It looks like the maple might have shrunk a bit and pulled away from the border and the torn grain is about 1/8” wide and about 3” long.. and irregular in shape. I can see down to the floor through it. I’ve drawn a simple picture of it below. The frame itself is mortised and has not moved. The top is 3/4” thick. Anyone know of a fix for this? The crack is completely part of the overhang so nothing glued beneath it and it’s not structural. It’s part of a floating system with TV and stuff on it. I’d rather not take it off the wall if possible. I’d like to fix it in place. My thought is that filling it might be the only course. Anyone with any expertise in this area?

-- The smell of wood, coffee in the cup, the wife let's me do my thing, the lake is peaceful.

6 replies so far

View John Stegall's profile

John Stegall

499 posts in 3479 days

#1 posted 12-19-2013 12:56 AM

I have used epoxy (I work with a lot of mesquite), coffee grounds have been mixed for color by others, I used a product from the epoxy manufacturer myself. Seal off the bottom, some use tape, I usually use a piece of wood that is covered with wax-paper and screwed in place if it will not show. You might be able to use a flexible stick to hold it in place also.

-- jstegall

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

14171 posts in 3946 days

#2 posted 12-19-2013 01:27 AM

not sure what you are looking for but paste wax will fill in the void

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Handtooler's profile


1540 posts in 2095 days

#3 posted 12-19-2013 01:52 AM

IMO what ever you select to fill and repair the present tea/ split/seperation you must stop drill the end to prevent continued action or it will migrate futher across. What say ye, LJ’s?

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343

View sandhill's profile


2128 posts in 3887 days

#4 posted 12-19-2013 01:59 AM

One thing about cracks/splits, you can’t re-clamp/glue them. I know its a pain but you may want to consider removing the boarder and rip saw the crack out and re-apply the edge.
Something that works often is to fill it with epoxy and apply a veneer patch and blend it in the best you can.

View madts's profile


1855 posts in 2303 days

#5 posted 12-19-2013 02:00 AM

Do not jump into a frozen lake. I know that, that will cause shrinkage problems. To repair warm up as fast as possible.

-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

View grizzman's profile


7836 posts in 3266 days

#6 posted 12-19-2013 02:21 AM

if it were me i would put tape on the underside and would use some sawdust mixed with epoxy and fill the crack. from the diagram, it doesnt look like its in a place to travel any further so the epoxy filler should fix it..thats my 2 cents….cha ching….

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics