I really goofed and need some advice

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Gene Howe posted 12-17-2013 11:22 PM 911 views 0 times favorited 11 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

7022 posts in 2516 days

12-17-2013 11:22 PM

I screwed up two drawer fronts really bad. Unrepairable.
The drawers are constructed of BB ply sides and backs and solid maple fronts. TiteBond II was used in rabbeted drawer joints.
Can anyone tell me how to get the TiteBond to release?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

11 replies so far

View Elizabeth's profile


814 posts in 2231 days

#1 posted 12-17-2013 11:26 PM

The Titebond website addresses this question:

Good luck!

View JAAune's profile


1261 posts in 1404 days

#2 posted 12-18-2013 12:00 AM

Hot vinegar works well. Just keep applying it and slowly work at the joint with until it lets go. I used that technique once to remove some damaged veneer that had suffered from an amateur repair job.

-- See my work at and

View PaulDoug's profile


842 posts in 791 days

#3 posted 12-18-2013 12:11 AM

I’ve had success with a heat gun, but you have to be very careful and keep the gun moving. If you don’t you will scorch the wood. A light discoloring or light scorch may be okay if it is not so deep you can’t sand it out. I would think BB and maple would scorch pretty easily. So maybe great care with a hair dryer would be better.

-- “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

View gfadvm's profile


13935 posts in 1778 days

#4 posted 12-18-2013 02:26 AM

I have never screwed up! But I have used a heat gun to “unglue” Titebond joints. (just for fun!)

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

14375 posts in 2193 days

#5 posted 12-18-2013 02:32 AM

Hi Gene. typically tight bond will pull the wood apart in a joint if you try to break it. If is Titebond 1 or 2 you might soak it in water but take a chance on ruining the drawer bodies. If it is Titebond 3, you will have to cut the fronts away from the bodies and use a saw or chisel to get the wood and glue out of the rabbets and clean them up to accept new fronts. You can cut the bodies away with a jig saw and then use one of those multi purpose tools to remove the rest of the original drawer fronts.

Merry Christmas….............Jim

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

View pintodeluxe's profile


4185 posts in 1901 days

#6 posted 12-18-2013 04:59 AM

Save yourself the headache and remake the parts. I know it feels like a waste of materials, but I have wasted valuable time trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

View Gerry's profile


258 posts in 2328 days

#7 posted 12-18-2013 06:39 PM

Hi Gene,
And I have never screwed up either…........ I’ve had reasonable results using a heat gun. As others here have already said, keep the gun moving and apply a light mechanical pressure to the joint with a wedge ( chisel). Good Luck!

BTW Been a long time. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Best Regards,

Gerry Rovner

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

7022 posts in 2516 days

#8 posted 12-18-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks all.
Heated the joints with an appropriated iron, squirted in some vinegar, heated some more and pried them apart. All came apart fairly clean and I will be able to reuse the rest of the drawer parts. Took about a half an hour for six joints.

-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

View JL7's profile


8125 posts in 2053 days

#9 posted 12-18-2013 08:59 PM

This is good to know….I goof up ALOT…...glad it worked out Gene…..

-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,002 ways that won't work.

View Dallas's profile


3570 posts in 1575 days

#10 posted 12-18-2013 09:03 PM

I have a row of 4 utility lights with 60w bulbs, (not CFL’s),
Set close to the problem, turn it on and let it sit overnight.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Blackie_'s profile


4270 posts in 1600 days

#11 posted 01-02-2014 12:20 PM

Gene, looks like you got the right information from others here, a heat gun works great, I actually included a video on how to do it and how it works in one of my blogs.

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics