|Forum topic by sixminus1||posted 12-16-2013 04:46 PM||1747 views||0 times favorited||2 replies|
12-16-2013 04:46 PM
Hi All, I have been lurking on the forums for a while, but just decided to post with my first “real” woodworking success story.
I have been attempting picture frames that are 12”W x 36”H. When it came time to join the mitered corners, it was just not working. I ended up going with splined miters for frame #1 because I was already committed to full miter cuts after a failed end-grain glue-up. That worked OK, but it was messy lining up the joints, and my strap clamp didn’t work very well with the splines, so I had to use miter dogs with 2 c-clamps and a bar clamp on each corner! It took forever, and it was frustrating. I like the frame’s “rustic” look, but at the same time I feel like throwing it in the wood stove just to get back at it.
For frame #2, I decided to find miters that would glue up with my strap clamp, and not require splines. I decided on mitered bridle joints. After 6 hours measuring, testing, building jigs, failing, and cursing (in no particular order), I got ONE test joint that looked precise enough.
I now had an example piece to work from so I wouldn’t get (as) confused with the second frame. This example piece is staying in the shop for when I inevitably forget how to do this in the future.
All four joints, and all the routing for the second frame took 4 hours. Major difference once I felt like I knew what I was doing. Sorry, I don’t have a picture of it yet.
Anyway, just wanted to share my (small) joinery success story. It’s amazing how much there is to say about one silly project like this! Thanks for reading.