disappointed in Woodcrafts seam ripper kit

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by jeff posted 11-23-2013 02:45 AM 3013 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jeff's profile


1120 posts in 3662 days

11-23-2013 02:45 AM

turned a seam ripper kit this evening and the rubber O rings will not fit into the brass tube…tried enlarging the inner diameter of the brass tube but have had no luck in getting a good fit and a few of the rubber O rings are now worn…anybody tried this kit and have you run into this same problem?...will probably take the kit back to Woodcraft for a refund…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

10 replies so far

View cabmaker's profile


1740 posts in 3006 days

#1 posted 11-23-2013 03:36 AM


You might try warming the brass with heat gun, hair dryer or whatever you have there and put the o ring in the freezer for five minutes then try again.

How close of fit are we talking here

O rings of many varying sizes are readily available


View jeff's profile


1120 posts in 3662 days

#2 posted 11-23-2013 03:49 AM

JB…you really can’t adance the seam ripper into the tube…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View waho6o9's profile


8516 posts in 2774 days

#3 posted 11-23-2013 04:23 AM

“The O-rings when installed on the blade holder make it to large to fit inside the brass tube. I have found that by turning the blade holder on my lathe in a chuck fitted with pin jaws I can sand the grove and reduce the diameter enough that the O-rings will fit inside the brass tubes. It take a few attempts to get the fit right. I also chamfer the brass tube slightly. I’ve also noticed while test fitting the blade holder (with the O-rings installed) that twisting the blade holder while pushing it in the tube works the best. Often no further modification is required. – See more at:

Others have had problems as well. Check the reviews and maybe something will work for you.


View jeff's profile


1120 posts in 3662 days

#4 posted 11-23-2013 08:11 AM

thx waho609 i will do so…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Wildwood's profile


2469 posts in 2332 days

#5 posted 11-23-2013 05:46 PM

At one time Woodcraft was a reseller for Berea Hardwoods products. Not sure if that is still true. Berea instruction easier to follow. Berea definitely tells you to increase tube size with sand paper, oil & wipe off o-rings before installing. Just assume use a dowel & sandpaper to enlarge the tube.

-- Bill

View a1Jim's profile


117328 posts in 3774 days

#6 posted 11-23-2013 05:55 PM

This is new to me ,I didn’t even know woodcraft sold such a thing.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View jeff's profile


1120 posts in 3662 days

#7 posted 11-24-2013 12:33 AM

Thx Wildwood…I think I will try another seam ripper kit again…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View LordBTN's profile


6 posts in 1935 days

#8 posted 12-07-2013 11:15 PM

I just made on of these and it was a little tight but just a bit of mineral oil and worked like a champ

-- Where I work

View jeff's profile


1120 posts in 3662 days

#9 posted 12-08-2013 03:57 AM

I have been meaning to update—-I went ahead and tried a new seam ripper kit…I used sand paper followed by fine steel wool like some suggested but had no luck…I then used a pair of small scissors to flair out one end of the brass tube a bit followed by fine steel wool and it worked very well…This will be a X-mass present and hopefully they will like so I can make more but I think I will try a drop of oil next time :)...thx everybody…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View NormG's profile


6283 posts in 3201 days

#10 posted 12-28-2013 09:08 PM

I made for xmas, what a bear to get adjusted for ease of removal and insertion.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics