What Bit To Use?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Tesla77 posted 10-31-2013 03:39 AM 1011 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Tesla77's profile


28 posts in 2297 days

10-31-2013 03:39 AM

Topic tags/keywords: router question

I am redoing a tabletop and need to recreate this edge. Could use some help finding the right one or something close to it from Bosch or wherever. I was refininshing this top, sanding it down and getting it ready for stain, but I burned through the veneer. Had no idea it wasn’t solid until it was too late. Plan on replacing the top with pine glue-edged boards.



9 replies so far

View UpstateNYdude's profile


916 posts in 1979 days

#1 posted 10-31-2013 03:45 AM

What if you took a round over bit did the initial cut in at the top then took a round nose bit and did the little valley at the bottom, least from the picture it looks like a small dip anyway.

How big is the table?

-- Nick, “I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.” – Vincent Van Gogh

View crank49's profile


4030 posts in 2967 days

#2 posted 10-31-2013 03:59 AM

Is that a shallow gutter (valley as Nick said) around the top? Like to keep things from rolling off onto the floor?

If it is, there is no vertical bit that can do that except for the round nose or core box bit. And, either of those will require a second bit to do the rest of the profile.

You are basically left with three choices here.
1. As Nick suggested, use two or more bits and multiple passes to build that profile.

2. Have a custom bit made for that profile.

3. Make a molding plane yourself that fits that profile. BUT, this will leave you with corners that have to be carved by hand.

Well, I guess there is one more possibility. Remove the veneer and replace it with new veneer and keep the old top.

View ColonelTravis's profile


1768 posts in 1890 days

#3 posted 10-31-2013 04:12 AM

Top part you could try an edge beading bit. Bottom channel does look round nose. It may have been done by a special moulding bit, something like this except that bulge would have to be different:

I don’t own a billion bits because you can do a billion combinations with 6-7.

View Tesla77's profile


28 posts in 2297 days

#4 posted 10-31-2013 04:18 AM

The table is 30×48

Here are some more pics in detail. I don’t think the client will care much if I deviate from the original. I’d rather use one bit than two if I can help it. Profit margin starts slipping after spending $60 on a couple of bits. All I have is a round over.

View TorxNut's profile


58 posts in 1893 days

#5 posted 10-31-2013 04:23 AM

How about the double ogee and bead bit on the bottom of this page? It looks close.


Edit – You posted new pics while I was posting the above. I’m not sure it’s a good match now.

View tsangell's profile


216 posts in 2689 days

#6 posted 10-31-2013 04:50 AM

I’m thinking an Ogee bit would get close. You could sand/plane to roundover the “bullnose” part of the profile, but the rest of it would be close.

View oldnovice's profile


6845 posts in 3364 days

#7 posted 10-31-2013 05:22 AM

If it were up to me, I would not replace the top or try duplicate the edges. One of the things that make wooden furniture so great is that they develop character with age. Much like people, this character has many stories behind it and since the furniture can’t speak for itself the wear, tear, dents, and bruises need do the talking.

Unless you want to make this look like a new piece, I would try to stain the “burned” spot to match the veneer as close as possible, finish as desired, and leave it at that.

The edge of this table reminds me of a 80 year old library table I refinished quite some time ago. The table top edges, typically, show the wear and dents the most and I did not make any attempt to hide any of these. After stripping the table I refinished it with Waco Danish oil and it now looks like a well preserved old table as opposed to a table with a new top!

That’s my 2¢ worth!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View bondogaposis's profile


4723 posts in 2347 days

#8 posted 10-31-2013 12:08 PM

It looks like a Roman ogee with a roundover on the edge.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

2544 posts in 2965 days

#9 posted 10-31-2013 02:31 PM

It’s wider than a standard ogee, the above is an ogee fillet panel raiser bit from mlcs, just round the bottom edge off with sandpaper to get the same look. You will have to determine the diameter of the cutter by measuring the width of the profile, multiply by 2 and add half an inch.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics