LumberJocks

Magnetic switch dying?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by ChuckH posted 10-25-2013 04:53 PM 770 views 0 times favorited 25 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ChuckH's profile

ChuckH

37 posts in 491 days


10-25-2013 04:53 PM

Topic tags/keywords: magnetic switch table saw 1023sl

Just set up a new to me 1023SL and have noticed the switch is reluctant to shut off sometimes – I’m accustomed to a paddle style switch and just swatting it with my push stick to turn it off. The magnetic switch doesn’t react – I have to push it pretty deliberately, and sometimes it won’t even shut off with the push stick and I have to use a hand.

Is this normal for a magnetic switch, or is this a sign of a switch going south? Also, I’ve been shopping around for a replacement and it seems that there are magnetic switches OR paddle switches. I don’t see any magnetic switches with huge OFF paddles – I’d like to have both.


25 replies so far

View bigblockyeti's profile

bigblockyeti

1739 posts in 445 days


#1 posted 10-25-2013 05:05 PM

That’s a pretty big red flag for me, when the contact for the relay power is broken the relay releases the contacts and opens the circuit immediately. You probably have a bad operator (the actual part of the switch that you touch) and depending on who made the switch, those can be purchased by themselves, but can be pricey. It would be worth it to check into, Grizzly might have that part stand-alone without having to buy the entire motor starter. Given that it’s on a tablesaw I would recommend figuring this problem out before using it any more for safety’s sake!

View ChuckH's profile

ChuckH

37 posts in 491 days


#2 posted 10-25-2013 05:30 PM

Well you learn something new every day… or try to, anyway. I did not know there was anything to starting a 220v motor other than providing electricity. It sounds as if there is a starter unit as well as a switch unit in that box – and I can save some dough if the starter is good and I can figure out how to just replace the switch?

View Loren's profile

Loren

7809 posts in 2372 days


#3 posted 10-25-2013 05:52 PM

Switches can get dust in them. I’d check for that. Also
on a mag switch the contacts can get oxidized. They
are a hassle to clean but sometimes it helps.

-- http://lawoodworking.com

View ChuckH's profile

ChuckH

37 posts in 491 days


#4 posted 10-25-2013 05:53 PM

Thanks I’ll check that first thing when I get home.

View bigblockyeti's profile

bigblockyeti

1739 posts in 445 days


#5 posted 10-25-2013 05:55 PM

I have experience mostly with Allen-Bradley stuff that lasts a long time (the older stuff) but is very expensive when needs to be replaced (new & old). In most motor starters, assuming Grizzly is the same, the green or red button is only the operator for the low voltage switch for the relay that actually handles the current going to the motor. No doubt a complete Grizzly motor starter would be much cheaper than a complete unit from say Allen-Bradley, but again, if they will sell you only what you need instead of the entire assembly, that would be the way to go.

View Pimzedd's profile (online now)

Pimzedd

463 posts in 2528 days


#6 posted 10-25-2013 06:09 PM

Ditto Loren’s comment. Taught shop for 34 years. Dust in switches caused problems several times. Became my first item to check with start stop issues.

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school

View crank49's profile

crank49

3481 posts in 1695 days


#7 posted 10-25-2013 07:22 PM

Normally the phrase “Magnetic Switch” actually refers to a magnetic motor starting relay. As others have said, the switch you push is just a switch that energizes the coil in the starter.

An electrician could wire you up a paddle operated switch to operate your starter. No reason the two have to be mutually exclusive. If you know any maintenance electrician type folks they would probably do it for nothing, or very little, if you pay for the parts of course.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

2933 posts in 1968 days


#8 posted 10-25-2013 10:47 PM

Magnetic starters are for safety in case you lose power. You can open the box and check the contacts for burning. If they are burned, that’s an indication that something else is going bad. It could be a motor capacitor, or it just might be dust on the contacts.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

15029 posts in 2400 days


#9 posted 10-26-2013 12:08 AM

AS others have mentioned, saw dust is in everything in the wood shop! This sounds almost like a it might be a manual starter with the start/stop on the face of the box. Normally, it should not take much stop button movement to drop out a mag starter.

-- "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

15029 posts in 2400 days


#10 posted 10-26-2013 12:08 AM

Can you post a picture?

-- "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View ChuckH's profile

ChuckH

37 posts in 491 days


#11 posted 10-26-2013 12:40 AM

Pretty clean in there. Did some testing with the cover off – got a slightly (very slightly) better idea of what’s going on in there now. The red switch in the bottom right is clearly malfunctioning. Tried it a few times – first time it worked as normal, second time it turned off only when I released it, third time I fully depressed it, held and released and the saw did not shut off.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

15029 posts in 2400 days


#12 posted 10-26-2013 01:20 AM

I just took a look at the manual . It is a 2 wire control circuit. That switch is a manually operated switch with maintained contracts. It will restart the saw after a power outage. The starter is a magnetically operated starter.

-- "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

15029 posts in 2400 days


#13 posted 10-26-2013 01:42 AM

BTW, 99% sure the switch is the problem. The mag starter should be fine.

-- "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View klassenl's profile

klassenl

116 posts in 1383 days


#14 posted 10-26-2013 02:41 AM

TopmaxSurvivor wrote: “I just took a look at the manual . It is a 2 wire control circuit. That switch is a manually operated switch with maintained contracts. It will restart the saw after a power outage. The starter is a magnetically operated starter.”

That might be the worst wiring diagram I have ever seen. Grizzly should be ashamed of that.

-- When questioned about using glue on a garbage bin I responded, "Wood working is about good technique and lots of glue........I have the glue part down."

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

15029 posts in 2400 days


#15 posted 10-26-2013 02:45 AM

You mean it isn’t wired the way they show?

-- "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

showing 1 through 15 of 25 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase