LumberJocks

My house almost burnt down today do to cedar wood dust.. watch out..!!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Safety in the Woodworking Shop forum

Forum topic by Bsigns posted 315 days ago 2976 views 0 times favorited 62 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Bsigns's profile

Bsigns

10 posts in 780 days


315 days ago

We got woke up to people banging on our front door in the early AM today good thing i did not shoot them.
Open the door with them yelling your porch is on fire.

They were out having a morning walk and noted that our front porch was on fire. Me and my wife grabed pots and pans and filled them with water and started putting it out as i also called for the fire dept.

We got most of it out before they got here but it was still smoldering.
I had no clue how a fire could of got started we have no wires or anything by the porch in that area.

After looking the fire dep says it was Spontaneous combustion that cedar dust i had been putting down all around edge of the house just started and bust into flames on its own.

I make cedar signs and i have been dumping all the cedar dust from my sander and cnc routers all around the edge of our home thinking this was a good way to keep bugs out and it looks good.

It turns out that cedar and many others wood products in that fine of a size can heat up inside from moisture and get molded and this created a reaction that gets so hot it can start a fire.

I still am having a hard time thinking that is what happened but that is what they say it was Spontaneous combustion of the thick cedar dist i have around the front of the porch it was around a foot thick in that area.

It was damp out and i was thinking no way with this much dampness can this happen but the dampness is what makes the bacteria or mold react even more and heat up deep inside the cedar dust pile and bacteria and self-ignite because of heat produced by bacterial fermentation.

Just wanted to post this.. Do not put your cedar dust or chips around your home or if you do make sure that it is not in a thick pile no more then 3 inchs thick to help stop it from bacterial fermentation deep inside the pile.

I now have a burned up porch i need to fix but we make it out alive..
I will be taking all the cedar dust around the house away now for sure.

Just be careful i would of never expected this to happen.

-- Ed Branson MO http://bransoncedarsigns.com


62 replies so far

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

112008 posts in 2201 days


#1 posted 315 days ago

Wow
This is unbelievable,who would have ever guessed that cedar wood chips could cause spontaneous combustion .
Thanks for sharing this information.

-- http://artisticwoodstudio.com Custom furniture

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

956 posts in 1767 days


#2 posted 315 days ago

a1Jim, I think it’s important to clarify he was using cedar dust, not chips. Otherwise, I agree whole heartedly with your comment. I hope a lot of people read this!

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

View Bsigns's profile

Bsigns

10 posts in 780 days


#3 posted 315 days ago

A few photos from my cell phone.

-- Ed Branson MO http://bransoncedarsigns.com

View Bsigns's profile

Bsigns

10 posts in 780 days


#4 posted 315 days ago

One more showing more of the bed area.

They say it started down low in the cedar and burned up and then under the deck. Around a foot away from the side of the house.
The fire dep cut away the porch with a saw to make sure it was all out.

-- Ed Branson MO http://bransoncedarsigns.com

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

15582 posts in 1490 days


#5 posted 315 days ago

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I sure am glad that it wasn’t any worse for you and am certainly thankful that no one was hurt or worse, and that you didn’t loose your house.

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. Henry David Thoreau

View Hopdevil's profile

Hopdevil

181 posts in 1710 days


#6 posted 315 days ago

Wow, glad you and your family are ok!

It makes me wonder however… I put a thick layer of sawdust (all kinds of wood mixed up) on my compost container periodically to keep the bugs down and provide additional composting materials. The container is right up against the house.
Should I be worried? or is this an issue with only wood in the cedar family?
Thoughts anyone?

-- Buzz ---- Message sent from the End of the Internet.

View Bsigns's profile

Bsigns

10 posts in 780 days


#7 posted 315 days ago

Yaa me to it was scarey for sure. I need to go and rake all that out and get rid of it now. I have it all around the house I was just going to dump 2 more bags out sometime this week i have 2 dust collectors to empty.

-- Ed Branson MO http://bransoncedarsigns.com

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

565 posts in 636 days


#8 posted 315 days ago

Crazy! Glad you guys are ok. I used to do tires for Waste Management garbage trucks, in their yard they would always have a few of their plastic cans that were burnt or melted down from people leaving compost or grass clippings inside. Amazing the heat that can be produced from the process.

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

1114 posts in 2169 days


#9 posted 315 days ago

now I am wondering about other woods also. my dust collector has quite a bit of dust in it, can it start a fire that way too?
kinda scary.

-- Smitty!!!

View danoconnor11's profile

danoconnor11

12 posts in 600 days


#10 posted 315 days ago

I’ve seen cedar mulch do this when I was with the fire department.

View patron's profile

patron

13000 posts in 1965 days


#11 posted 315 days ago

who would have guessed

glad you got it out
and are all safe

thanks for the heads up

i just blow my vacuum outside
will have to rake it thinner periodically now
cause it goes get wet when it rains

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View joeyinsouthaustin's profile

joeyinsouthaustin

1245 posts in 696 days


#12 posted 315 days ago

good to know.. first I have heard of this. Another reason to keep that shop clean of dust piles!!

-- Who is John Galt?

View crank49's profile

crank49

3366 posts in 1595 days


#13 posted 315 days ago

I would guess the same thing might be possible with any combustible dust.
Along the same principle of bailed hay catching fire if it is not dry enough, or gets rained on, before you put it in the barn.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

1850 posts in 2185 days


#14 posted 315 days ago

I’ve also heard of lawn mowers catching fire due to grass clippings beneath the mower. Cleanliness is next to Godliness!

-- Joe

View DS's profile

DS

2131 posts in 1044 days


#15 posted 315 days ago

Out by the river bottom they have these huge composting heaps for making mulch. They have to manage them very carefully because as the organics break down they create lots of heat.

A couple months ago they had a huge fire out there that burned for almost a week because the heaps spontaneously combusted. (We’re talking 100 acres or more burning)

What a mess. Glad you’re okay and that the neighbors were looking out for you.

-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251

showing 1 through 15 of 62 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase