|Forum topic by Bsigns||posted 10-08-2013 02:29 PM||3047 views||0 times favorited||62 replies|
10-08-2013 02:29 PM
We got woke up to people banging on our front door in the early AM today good thing i did not shoot them.
They were out having a morning walk and noted that our front porch was on fire. Me and my wife grabed pots and pans and filled them with water and started putting it out as i also called for the fire dept.
We got most of it out before they got here but it was still smoldering.
After looking the fire dep says it was Spontaneous combustion that cedar dust i had been putting down all around edge of the house just started and bust into flames on its own.
I make cedar signs and i have been dumping all the cedar dust from my sander and cnc routers all around the edge of our home thinking this was a good way to keep bugs out and it looks good.
It turns out that cedar and many others wood products in that fine of a size can heat up inside from moisture and get molded and this created a reaction that gets so hot it can start a fire.
I still am having a hard time thinking that is what happened but that is what they say it was Spontaneous combustion of the thick cedar dist i have around the front of the porch it was around a foot thick in that area.
It was damp out and i was thinking no way with this much dampness can this happen but the dampness is what makes the bacteria or mold react even more and heat up deep inside the cedar dust pile and bacteria and self-ignite because of heat produced by bacterial fermentation.
Just wanted to post this.. Do not put your cedar dust or chips around your home or if you do make sure that it is not in a thick pile no more then 3 inchs thick to help stop it from bacterial fermentation deep inside the pile.
I now have a burned up porch i need to fix but we make it out alive..
Just be careful i would of never expected this to happen.
-- Ed Branson MO http://bransoncedarsigns.com