top turning question

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by socrbent posted 09-12-2013 11:13 PM 919 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View socrbent's profile


602 posts in 2239 days

09-12-2013 11:13 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question lathe turning

It seems to me that a wood top design that concentrates the mass near the rim of a disk like the flywheel on the old hit and miss engines or early John Deere tractors would maximize spin time. A lot of wood tops I have seen have bulb shapes not discs. Anyone have knowledge or experience on this topic?

-- socrbent Ohio

2 replies so far

View JollyGreen67's profile


1663 posts in 2732 days

#1 posted 09-13-2013 01:46 AM

By my limited experience with tops, the bulb type is best spun by a string of sorts, and the flywheel types are spun by the fingers. Of course, the finger method would have to done with a smaller top.

-- When I was a kid I wanted to be older . . . . . this CRAP is not what I expected !

View Wildwood's profile


2300 posts in 2104 days

#2 posted 09-13-2013 10:27 AM

I have turned several different shape tops and fun to turn. Never had the urge to turn those tops you need string to play. Hardest style for me to turn has been tippy tops. Have turn too many one & two piece tops to count. Find a style or shape top you like and turn them.

Can find lots of how to turn different style tops here:

-- Bill

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics