Where were you on 09/11/01?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Coffee Lounge forum

Forum topic by Gary posted 09-11-2013 01:21 PM 1274 views 0 times favorited 17 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Gary's profile


9331 posts in 3430 days

09-11-2013 01:21 PM

I was at home watching it on TV. I had jury duty that day and was waiting for time to leave. They closed down the courthouse and sent us back home. I watched the telecasts the rest of the day. Watching the memorial program now it sure brings it all back. They are right…. life in this country has certainly changed.

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

17 replies so far

View MaroonGoon's profile


281 posts in 1955 days

#1 posted 09-11-2013 01:55 PM

I was in the 6th grade. I remember playing outside before school and everyone was having fun and was happy. Then we came into the school and when we walked into our classroom I saw my 6th grade teacher with a shocked face and could tell she had been crying. She sat us down and began explaining to us what was going on even though we were all paying attention to what was happening on the TV. We had a class discussion on it since we all had so many questions and that was when the second plane struck the towers. We continued the rest of the day normally after first period but each teacher was allowed to have the news on all day long and I remember coming straight home after school and continued watching what was going on. I didn’t quite understand exactly what was happening since I was only 11 but I definitely knew it was serious. It wasnt for a few more years until I fully understood what was going on and what implications it had on our country and the world in general.

-- "Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -- Pablo Picasso

View AngieO's profile


1267 posts in 2144 days

#2 posted 09-11-2013 04:49 PM

As a mother to a Kindergartner and a toddler I was taking advantage of the nap my daughter was taking. (Bre wasnt even two at the time). I was asleep, which was rare. My best friend called me and at first I remember jokingly getting on her for waking me. And then after she told me to turn the tv on we both just sat on the phone in silence and watched. Then after a while we both starting asking the same questions. How could a plane hit a building accidentally. But we were not prepared for the answer we got. We cried together. My husband worked night shift. After the second plane hit I woke my husband up. Shock and horror is the only thing I can remember feeling.

View TheDane's profile


5423 posts in 3660 days

#3 posted 09-11-2013 05:09 PM

It is one of those days that will be permanently etched in my memory … it is a day I will never forget.

I was sitting in a restaurant in a hotel in Nashville, waiting for my crew when the first plane slammed into the WTC. The plan had been to have breakfast, then head over to the convention center to set up our booth for a major trade show. We headed over to the convention center to learn the show was cancelled, so we packed up our stuff, set up a freight pickup for the return shipment, and headed to the airport. There was no way to get a flight out … thank God we had not turned in our rental car. We hit the highway … traffic was crazy, gas prices were going through the roof, cell phone service was spotty if we could get a signal at all, and listening to the radio was nerve wracking. Nobody knew what was going on … or what might happen next.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10097 posts in 4049 days

#4 posted 09-11-2013 05:16 PM

I was at home… on the computer on a Financial Forum describing how we had just been attacked...

... we are being ATTACKED!

... and watching TV, of course, watching the planes hit the towers IN REAL TIME…!

... Watching one Tower just collapse from bottom-UP into a huge dust cloud of dust & rubble…

Seeing all of the Dust in the streets of NY … people running all around going for Cover…
... watching people dive / jump from other building after it had been hit… in Real time!

... a horrible sight… a very SICKENING sight…

Then… the second Tower… finally collapsed… with people STILL jumping to their deaths…

Maria Bartelomo (sp) reporting from Street, outside the NY Stock Exchange, showing & commenting on the horrendous event… dust all over the place… people running around like ants… heading for cover…

Not a dry face in the house!

Then, watching all of the reruns for hours & hours…

... crying some more… and more… then just feeling kinda numb… ... in a daze…

Did this Really happen in the United States of America?

This cannot be true… but it was…

I felt like going after the bastards behind it and, yes, shooting them!! DEAD… DEAD… DEAD…

To me, that was like a declaration of WAR!
... and it was time to organize and get the job done!

... and the job is STILL NOT DONE!


Now, I have to blow my nose and wipe my Face off AGAIN!!
... sad… very SAD…

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

View Kent's profile


42 posts in 3832 days

#5 posted 09-11-2013 05:22 PM

Urbana IL.
I had just arrived at work and was parking my car when I heard the news on the radio. I went to my wife’s office as she had a TV. Several of us were watching the horror as the towers were burning and people were jumping out, and I remember thinking to myself that the building was going to collapse, and then moments later, it crumbled.

My daughter wrote on a piece of paper that day, “God, Please Save America.” I still have that piece of paper.

View chrisstef's profile


17382 posts in 3003 days

#6 posted 09-11-2013 05:40 PM

Storrs CT

I was in college at Uconn. My junior year. I was soundly asleep when I got woken up by my roommate who just happened to be up cramming for an exam. I sat down just in time to see the second plane hit. We woke our neighbors up and a group of us sat there … wondering, asking the questions, worrying about those we knew in the City. Almost lost my future brother in law, he made it out of an adjacent building luckily. Im not sure that the emotions will ever leave me thinking about it.

Thank you to all the first responders and my sympathies to those who lost loved ones.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View CharlieM1958's profile


16274 posts in 4215 days

#7 posted 09-11-2013 05:43 PM

I was at work. I had made the decision to renew my Saints season tickets after having let them go for several years, and I had just hung up the phone with the ticket office when a coworker ran in, turned on the TV in our conference room, and said “Y’all better come see this.” This was after the first plane had struck, and they were still thinking it was an accident of some sort. Shortly after that the second plane hit, and all hell broke loose. Needless to say, not much more work was done that day, as we all sat glued to the television.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Don W's profile

Don W

18711 posts in 2565 days

#8 posted 09-11-2013 06:03 PM

I was at work. Pittsfield MA. Being on a team of network support there was a mad scramble to get backups kicked off and recent ones secured offsite.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

View darinS's profile


709 posts in 2864 days

#9 posted 09-11-2013 06:52 PM

I was in college and had the TV on while I was getting my then 6 month old son ready to go to the babysitter. It was harder on my wife who grew up 10 miles outside NYC and used to drive ambulances. She was ready to head back and help out her old EMT crew.

-- They say many people die because of alcohol. They never realized how many of them are born because of it.

View Tbolt's profile


65 posts in 1848 days

#10 posted 09-11-2013 06:55 PM

I was in an executive business meeting in Ft. Worth, Tx., when my executive assistant and burst in to tell me I had an emergency phone call from my wife. I grabbed my phone and called home. My wife informed me what was happening. I was in shock . My brother Scott J. Savaria was a captain with the NYFD Rescue Engine No. 1 and I was immediately concerned with his well being. I ended the meeting and found a T.V. to watch the news. The two towers had already collapsed and the first image I saw was a picture of a crushed firetruck of Engine No. 1. I tried his home and his cellphone, without any success until finally getting in touch with his wife at 6pm that night. She informed me that he was safe. He was at the command post when the 2nd tower was struck and the decision had been made to evacuate the towers. He was able to get out, but sadly several members of his house didn’t. The events of that day have a profound effect on my brother and the remainder of my family. My children felt the need to serve their country, my daughter Samantha is a 1st Lt., serving with the U.S. Army in Germany. My son Forrest enlisted in the Army after graduating from high school, he is a M.P. .
I’m deeply proud of my children feeling the need to serve their country . I remember my daughter telling me that night that she wanted to join the Army, because it was the right thing to do.
My brother Scott carries the physical and mental scars of that horrible day, for him, they will never heal for him.

Never Forget

-- Fumbling and Bumbling Woodworking Todd

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10097 posts in 4049 days

#11 posted 09-11-2013 06:56 PM

It was a Horrible sight…

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10097 posts in 4049 days

#12 posted 09-11-2013 07:36 PM

View crank49's profile


4030 posts in 2968 days

#13 posted 09-11-2013 07:59 PM

I was at work, waiting to hear from my son who had just left for USAF duty assignment in Korea a few hours earlier. When my wife called to tell me about the plane hitting the WTC I thought she was calling to tell me Mark had arrived in Korea.
Later found out the base was locked down when he got there and he had to get a hotel in town for 4 days; had no phone or way to contact us.

When the second plane hit every thing at work just shut down and we all gathered in the parking lot, like a fire drill, had a group prayer then after that and some discussion we all went home. Very strange feeling not knowing what was next. Actually, I felt better about the future then than I do right now with O-goofus in charge.

View Howie's profile


2656 posts in 2920 days

#14 posted 09-11-2013 11:02 PM

I had a crew doing piping on a scientific lab (Scitech) in Columbus,Ohio.

-- Life is good.

View patcollins's profile


1685 posts in 2862 days

#15 posted 09-11-2013 11:17 PM

I was in San Diego going into work at Camp Pendleton, I had just flown from DC to San Diego on Sept 10th and didn’t know anything was going on, got to the gate and it was backed up and had an M-60 shoved into my face while being yelled at for my ID.

Didn’t get any of my work accomplished but I did get a two week paid for vacation in southern California. It was the first time I had flown since I was a kid, the trip out was very pleasurable, the trip back not so much.

showing 1 through 15 of 17 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics