|Forum topic by hairy||posted 09-07-2013 08:56 PM||1240 views||0 times favorited||11 replies|
09-07-2013 08:56 PM
This is how it looked when it followed me home. Craigslist has been good to me.
After being rust o rated. My operating theory was – If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Everything got cleaned, checked, lubed, adjusted as necessary, but I kept the patina. Patina, that’s a nice word , why doesn’t it apply to people?
I knew it would be a while before I got started on it, so everyday I brushed Kroil onto every nut, bolt, screw and anything else that I might be messing with. It works as advertised.
It’s a 1959 DeWalt 925. From what the internet says, the first 4 numbers of the motor serial number are year and date, in this case November 59. From what Mr. Sawdust says, after the arms and column are cast, they sat outside until they were seasoned enough to be machined.
I did all the dirty work out in the garage, cleaning and lubing and such. The only thing missing is the key for the start/stop switch. I took all the wiring out of the arm and wired in a new Grizzly paddle switch. The wiring is in good shape, not stiff and the insulation isn’t cracked. Right where it was cut for the switch, I wired in a plug and socket to use as a disconnect, then secured it to the frame. Then I bolted handles onto the frame and got some help to get it in the basement. Having the motor off for this is a big help going downstairs.
I bought the Mr. Sawdust book, and built my version of his table. His book is actually for the older, round arm saws, so not all the info applies to this one. Still,it’s a good book and worth it.
I went to Lowe’s and got some 2×4’s and plywood to build a base for it, and supplies to make the table. I decided to use the base that was holding my grinder and sander and build a new one for them. I wanted a heavy base for this saw.
It had to go where I could reach the 220 volt outlet. There’s room to the left if I need it for a long board.
It’s up and running. All I’ve cut so far is some test pieces to check the accuracy. It makes a nice clean cut, square any way you check it. I’m surprised about the blade that was on it, I’ll stay with it for a while. The dust collection is poor at best. I adapted a 4” hose down to what it had on the blade guard, and lost something in the translation. I need to make a taller backsplash, maybe put in a big dust collector opening. I’ll try something else later, I want to use it and see how it does. I’m sure something else will pop up that I hadn’t considered. It’s really getting crowded in my little shop, but mostly I make small things. All in all, it’s a winner.It might not work for you, but I’m a happy guy.
-- on Wednesday's I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea...