work piece hold down

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodcarving forum

Forum topic by Micah Muzny posted 09-06-2013 02:17 AM 1014 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View Micah Muzny's profile

Micah Muzny

185 posts in 1695 days

09-06-2013 02:17 AM

So I got a Saburr Tooth disc for my angle grinder and I tried it out, it works great! My only problem is I need some way to hold my work piece steady. I was carving a bowl and it starts moving all over the place. I used a regular vice but that doesn’t work to good. The jaws don’t open wide enough, and I have to make sure I don’t hit the metal. What do you use to hold your work piece still will working on it?

1 reply so far

View crank49's profile


4030 posts in 2934 days

#1 posted 09-06-2013 03:50 AM

What I call a “T-plate”
It’s made out of three pieces of plywood. The top one is about an 8” square. The vertical piece is two 4” by 8” by 3/4” thick pieces laminated together (1-1/2” thick), glued and screwed under the 8” top, across the center. You clamp the 4” piece in the front vise. You glue your work piece to the top using hot melt glue. Grind, carve, engrave or whatever, then cut the glue line apart and clean up.

Have one made out of metal also that’s only 4” square on top. Use melted shellac as a glue on this one and to separate the finished piece I heat the plate with a torch to re-melt the shellac. Then you can clean up shellac residue with alcohol.

Some times I clamp a small piece in parallel jaw wooden screw clamps and then clamp the screw clamp in the vise.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics