Measuring tool

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by kmetzger posted 09-04-2013 07:18 PM 884 views 1 time favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View kmetzger's profile


157 posts in 1813 days

09-04-2013 07:18 PM

In this video: the turner uses fingers to measure diameters. Does anyone know where I can get some?

-- Kim, Ajijic, Mexico,

3 replies so far

View TheDane's profile


5423 posts in 3658 days

#1 posted 09-04-2013 08:22 PM

They are called ‘sizing fingers’ ... I don’t know if they are available commercially. I saw a demonstration a couple of years ago where the turner was using a similar rig.

It doesn’t look like it would be too difficult to make them … would certainly come in handy if you needed to make several copies of a turning and don’t have a duplicator for you lathe.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View TerryDowning's profile


1077 posts in 2113 days

#2 posted 09-04-2013 08:47 PM

I’ve also seen similar called Lathe Dancers on the Shopsmith site.

Also in Popular Woodworking Mag February 2006 issue #153

Disclaimer: I have not tried these, just thought they looked similar and the poster in the Shopsmith forum explains how they are made and used.

-- - Terry

View kmetzger's profile


157 posts in 1813 days

#3 posted 09-04-2013 08:52 PM

Thank you very much, guys.

-- Kim, Ajijic, Mexico,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics