|Forum topic by Dallas||posted 198 days ago||861 views||0 times favorited||7 replies|
198 days ago
A few years ago I offered to make a cane for my wife.. She wanted one like mine, which is just basically a hicory stick and a brass duck head off of a fireplace set.
So, to get on with the story, I had a nice piece of 5/4 black walnut that I got from Shelly_b.
When I woke up, and after my pain pills, coffee and e-cigarette fix, (Hey, I’m quitting!), I went over to the shop and put what I thought this tool would look like together.
This morning, I tried again with a few changes and by golly, it seems to work pretty good. Nothing is bolted, screwed, glued, or nailed together, except for some aluminum angle and screws on the bottom of the uprights to hold them to the table with clamps. I’ll be darned! it actually WORKS!
This thing is expandable to any size, any width, any height merely by moving or replacing the end pieces.
I chucked up a piece of 5/4×5/4 walnut and had a go with my newish #6, then my #414 and finally my #120.
I got one side a little bit off, but figured out what to do next time so it’s not a problem
Next I got out a 1/2” bottoming bit and fit it to my router, I also added a 1/4” piece on top of each side of the original guide to give me room to adjust the router depth.
-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!