How do I fix a warped table top I bought

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by muchacha1234 posted 08-14-2013 09:40 AM 4305 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View muchacha1234's profile


1 post in 1744 days

08-14-2013 09:40 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Hi, I am not a “woodworker” at all. I am just a mother who bought a large 60” round table used. It was a great price, but it also has a warp in the table top. I have been searching the internet to see if anyone could tell me how to fix this, but to no avail. The previous owners said that it was never in a flood or anything, it just gradually started to warp and get worse and worse. I have read about “kerfing” but do not know if that is the answer. Can anyone help?

6 replies so far

View Gary's profile


9331 posts in 3430 days

#1 posted 08-14-2013 11:24 AM

Can you post a picture?

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View scotsman9's profile


134 posts in 1886 days

#2 posted 08-14-2013 11:46 AM

Kerfing is a method of removing material in order to allow wood to bend more easily.

Post a Picture of all sides of the table including under the table, and I can assure you the folks on LumberJocks will provide you with a solution…

These folks be smart…

-- Just a man and his opinion.

View bondogaposis's profile (online now)


4727 posts in 2348 days

#3 posted 08-14-2013 12:54 PM

Too many unknowns here to answer intelligently. A picture would be worth more than a thousand words in this case. What is the top made of? Plywood, solid wood glue up, particle board, melamine, etc. How is it attached to the base? How bad is the warp? Are individual boards cupped or is the whole top skewed? A simple picture would clear a lot up. Can’t really answer your question until we can see what exactly is causing the problem.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View PurpLev's profile


8535 posts in 3646 days

#4 posted 08-14-2013 01:06 PM

what tools do you have at your disposal?

from your original post I am assuming you don’t have many tools if any. The description of the warp of the table top suggests this is due to natural wood movement which means that to really get rid of that warp, the table top will need to be stripped of it’s finished – reflattened, and refinished.

maybe worth finding a local woodworker to help you with that?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View JJFU's profile


3 posts in 1744 days

#5 posted 08-14-2013 05:26 PM

If it’s just a tabletop that is warped, and you’re able to drill through the top and into the base, do that. Just take a wood screw or two and drill through to attach it to the base. The wood will have some give to it so you shouldn’t need to worry about the top splitting.


-- Brian,

View bannerpond1's profile


397 posts in 1896 days

#6 posted 08-14-2013 08:57 PM

Yikes, JJFU! Who wants to drill through the top of a table? Maybe a Kreg type fix from the underside would be better? Just my opinion.

Muchacha1234, my further opinion is that you will NOT be able to fix this yourself. If it were mine, I would remove the table and rip apart the boards that seem to be causing the table not to be flat. Without the proper tools, I don’t believe you will be able to fix this, especially since you say you’re not a woodworker.

Consider removing the top and replacing it. Don’t neglect to consider plywood or a like material that wouldn’t cup. You can put a table cloth on it and hide the material. The cupped table doesn’t seem useable, regardless of what kind of wood it is.

-- --Dale Page

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics