clamping pads

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by 1yeldud1 posted 08-05-2013 05:09 PM 1367 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View 1yeldud1's profile


301 posts in 3041 days

08-05-2013 05:09 PM

I have several bar type clamps and several “c” clamps that I use on wood working projects. I am looking for a way to pad the clamping surfaces for these projects. I purchased a sheet of tanned leather and stamped out 1 1/2 diameter circles that I tried to glue on the clamp faces. Some of these clamps had origional rubber faces that left oily spots on the wood. When I tried to use the tanned leather it also left a oily circle on my wood. I realize that I could use non tanned leather but i am wondering what the other lumber jocks use to pad the faces of their clamps to keep from marking the wood projects. Thanks for your input

7 replies so far

View Dallas's profile


3599 posts in 2486 days

#1 posted 08-05-2013 05:12 PM

I usually just use a thin piece of wood as a pad for my C clamps.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View DrDirt's profile


4424 posts in 3741 days

#2 posted 08-05-2013 05:16 PM

Pieces of 1/8 or 3/16 ply (drawer bottom 3-ply) attached with hotmelt glue.

Just cut a stack of 1- inch squares on the bandsaw

-- “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain

View NiteWalker's profile


2737 posts in 2576 days

#3 posted 08-05-2013 06:38 PM

I use small offcuts of hardwood.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View MT_Stringer's profile


3168 posts in 3230 days

#4 posted 08-05-2013 07:52 PM

I use 1/2 inch melamine scrap from a previous project. I have seen where guys countersink a magnet and attach it with construction adhesive to the pad. The magnet holds the pad to the clamp. Gotta make me some.

I tried hot glue on the aluminum faced clamps but it didn’t hold up well and the pads came off.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View Clint Searl's profile

Clint Searl

1533 posts in 2360 days

#5 posted 08-05-2013 08:31 PM

I use pieces of formica laminate. The samples at Lowes or HD are free, and they’re just the right size.

-- Clint Searl....Ya can no more do what ya don't know how than ya can git back from where ya ain't been

View joeyinsouthaustin's profile


1294 posts in 2071 days

#6 posted 08-05-2013 09:57 PM

Pieces of 1/2” baltic birch. Sounds like pieces of something solid is the way to go!!

-- Who is John Galt?

View gfadvm's profile


14940 posts in 2689 days

#7 posted 08-06-2013 01:43 AM

I use thin wooden squares (ply or solid). Just be sure the ‘pad’ materiel is softer stock than the wood to be clamped or you’ll leave a dent.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics