LumberJocks

What happened here

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by natenaaron posted 07-24-2013 10:42 PM 630 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

369 posts in 449 days


07-24-2013 10:42 PM

I was sanding off the orange peel finish I created. It was getting hot and muggy and instead of sand things got gummy. I stopped right away. I got a couple fans and aimed them at the piece for a while. Worked like a charm. After sanding for a little while I thought I was done. I got the air hose to blow off the dust and the picture is what happened. Almost every board has had an adhesion issue. I put a seal coat of shellac on prior to the poly. I read and reread the can. I saw no mention of wax at all. It was Zinser’s bullseye and I sanded the heck out of the shellac. I also sanded the heck out of the first thin layer of poly.

There is no adhesion issue on the steel. Any thoughts? Notice what is under the peeling shows no sign of sanding at all.


9 replies so far

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

3447 posts in 2612 days


#1 posted 07-24-2013 10:55 PM

Bullseye and Seal Coat might be the villain.
Seal Coat is de waxed.
Might be worth the check out.
Bill

-- bill@magraphics.us

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

369 posts in 449 days


#2 posted 07-24-2013 11:11 PM

I used the bullseye as the seal coat. It was bullseye shellac.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

2710 posts in 1229 days


#3 posted 07-24-2013 11:38 PM

Bullseye shellac is the waxy kind.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Clint Searl's profile

Clint Searl

1449 posts in 1013 days


#4 posted 07-24-2013 11:55 PM

The shellac was a mistake. Poly should not be preceded by anything.

-- Clint Searl....Ya can no more do what ya don't know how than ya can git back from where ya ain't been

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

2418 posts in 2179 days


#5 posted 07-25-2013 12:32 AM

The shellac can does not say anything about wax because the natural state of shellac is to contain wax. It’s kind of like the way that nobody talks about caffeinated coffee.

The dewaxed Bullseye shellac looks like this:

I often use this under polyurethane with no problems.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

2710 posts in 1229 days


#6 posted 07-25-2013 01:26 AM

I use sealcoat under waterborne poly with no problems as well.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

369 posts in 449 days


#7 posted 07-25-2013 01:55 AM

That explains it. Thanks folks. Guess I now have a date with the heat gun to get the rest of this stuff off. I hate feeling stupid but at least I learned something.

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

913 posts in 2036 days


#8 posted 07-25-2013 02:40 AM

I just read the other post where you said you used acetone to thin the poly. Looking at the white in the finish and putting it all together I’m positive you were right earlier, that the acetone caused it to dry too quickly. I also think that’s what caused the adhesion problem. For those who don’t know, a fast-drying finish cools very quickly, which causes lots of condensation on the finish on hot humid days. Think of a cold drink cup. That’s what happens to the finish and causes the milky look, sometimes called blushing. The water can actually get all down into the finish, which would not allow it to adhere properly. I have had this problem in lacquer and sanding sealer before, but never poly, because the poly is slower drying so it doesn’t cool as much. Until you added acetone of course.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View natenaaron's profile

natenaaron

369 posts in 449 days


#9 posted 07-25-2013 04:19 AM

Thanks for the info dale. The milky look showed up after sanding. If it were not for the orange peel effect there was lots of shine. That milky stuff showed up after sanding and when the heat went up with the humidity. Humidity is something I have never had to really worry about. The benefits of living in the desert I guess. I am glad this happened. I had an offer to buy the piece , even though it was not for sale, if I could fix the orange peel. I would have hated selling something that would have failed miserably. Made me feel good to have someone offer to pay for something I made.

I spent a little time with the heat gun and a little wedge of wood. Everything seemed to bubble up real nice and slide off. I will use a big putty knife nd do the job right tomorrow. I don’t like using stripper so heat gun it is foller by sanding.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase