• Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by Danpaddles posted 06-25-2013 08:11 PM 1023 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Danpaddles's profile


573 posts in 2340 days

06-25-2013 08:11 PM

I’ve got some handles to turn, for files, and I will be finishing out a walking stick soon. I have used iron pipe, and copper tubing as ferrules, but I have seen corrosion. I should be using brass. What can I use for brass ferrules? I sorta looked around at the hardware, nothing jumped out of the aisle at me.



-- Dan V. in Indy

5 replies so far

View grfrazee's profile


388 posts in 2168 days

#1 posted 06-25-2013 08:25 PM

Brass flare nuts, threaded onto the handle, and turned round.

-- -=Pride is not a sin=-

View TheDane's profile


5448 posts in 3691 days

#2 posted 06-25-2013 10:20 PM

Dan … Brass Flare Nuts are in the plumbing department at Menards … cost about $1.50 each.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View mpax356's profile


72 posts in 2520 days

#3 posted 06-26-2013 03:40 AM

Or you can order ferrules of brass from Craft Supply or Packard.

-- MPax, Atlanta

View stefang's profile


15881 posts in 3362 days

#4 posted 06-26-2013 08:55 AM

I buy brass ferrules from my local woodworking store. The have an indentation on one side which helps to lock them onto the handles. They are pretty cheap and you just bang them on.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Danpaddles's profile


573 posts in 2340 days

#5 posted 06-27-2013 01:49 AM

Thanks, I’ll try the flare nuts.

-- Dan V. in Indy

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics