Help Identify this tool!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by bjohns posted 06-24-2013 07:42 AM 802 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bjohns's profile


1 post in 1158 days

06-24-2013 07:42 AM

Topic tags/keywords: tool unknown identify help level

Hello everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone knows what this is. My best guess is that it was from about 1900.

Its about 1.5 feet long, if that helps. There’s a level on the handle, and I’m wondering if that is this tool’s only purpose?

I appreciate any and all info! I’m really curious what this is, as I have no experience with carpentry.

4 replies so far

View dowdstools's profile


8 posts in 1185 days

#1 posted 06-24-2013 06:06 PM

Yes, it’s a machinist’s level. The groove in the bottom is so it will sit on round stock. I don’t think it is as old as your guess, as Starrett still makes that tool.

View ksSlim's profile (online now)


1186 posts in 2250 days

#2 posted 06-24-2013 06:08 PM

Level used for metrology work.
Can use with a sine block for accurate angle measurements.

-- Sawdust and shavings are therapeutic

View exelectrician's profile


2327 posts in 1787 days

#3 posted 06-25-2013 03:42 AM

Very accurate and equally expensive, nice find.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile (online now)


13246 posts in 1979 days

#4 posted 06-25-2013 04:01 AM

^ And it’s stunning. Thanks for posting, and congrats!

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics