LumberJocks

Grizzly 1023S

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by turbozmike posted 400 days ago 612 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View turbozmike's profile

turbozmike

4 posts in 400 days


400 days ago

Im looking to buy my first table saw, I found a Grizzly 1023S on Craigslist for $575.
Ive read alot of stuff that says the 1023 line is pretty good, being an S though, I don’t think this one has a riving knife unfortunately.

Sound like a good deal if everything is in good condition?

Edit

—————-
I managed to get some extra photos, its quite a drive to go pick this up.
The top is covered in surface rust, It doesn’t look like it would be a problem to clean up, likewise the fence rails look like they need to be cleaned up also. Its 220 single phase 3hp built in 2002, appears to have the miter gauge and a fox shop fence.

They say it runs great and are just getting rid of it because its so big.


8 replies so far

View knotscott's profile (online now)

knotscott

5363 posts in 1970 days


#1 posted 399 days ago

Without seeing pics, it sounds like it has potential to clean up nicely. It definitely has their better fence. It’ll be right tilt, and predates a true riving knife. Instead, it would have come with a traditional splitter and guard. The BORK aftermarket riving knife will fit it. It’ll also be a right tilt saw. $575 would be a decent buy if the rest of the saw checks out, but it never hurts to offer $500 and see. With good setup, and a good blade this saw could be a gem. Please report back on how you made out…..

-- Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

View turbozmike's profile

turbozmike

4 posts in 400 days


#2 posted 399 days ago

Thats great to heard I could add the riving knife! They guy is REALLY hard to contact. It seems like it would be prudent to have them fire it up so I can see that it works, then Ill probably have to disassemble it to load it into my pickup and get it home.

View turbozmike's profile

turbozmike

4 posts in 400 days


#3 posted 399 days ago

Starting to wonder if buying new is a better idea, If I can get it for $500 plus the 100 for gas, 175 for a splitter/riving knife/guard, the cost of a blade and what ever maintenance is needed Im getting up there in price.

For a few hundred more I can buy brand new and not have to worry about finding hidden gremlins.

View Tomoose's profile

Tomoose

312 posts in 1968 days


#4 posted 399 days ago

Is the top MDF?? I think I would steer clear if it doesn’t have a cast-iron table. I have seen plenty of nicer-looking saw on CL over the years for the same or even less $$.

Tom

-- cut it twice and it's still too short...

View turbozmike's profile

turbozmike

4 posts in 400 days


#5 posted 399 days ago

Just surface rust according to the owner.

View toolie's profile

toolie

1717 posts in 1223 days


#6 posted 399 days ago

it’ s a right tilt. that would kill it for me.

-- there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8476 posts in 2243 days


#7 posted 399 days ago

I have the saw at 90 degrees 99% of the time. that remaining 1% I’m pretty sure I could manage with either a left or right tilt – one way or another. sure, theoretically left tilt makes more sense, but it can be worked around.

that said – you can get a heaby duty cabinet saw for $500… maybe requires some elbow grease, but still – less then most hybrid/contractor saws on the market today and far better than any of them.

riving knife can be setup with a BORK, so this all (gas…BORK…work) puts you at around 700-800 for a working cabinet saw – still a decent deal.

bottom line is – will this satisfy you? will you have regrets? is there another saw that you are eyeing? only you can answer those.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View UpstateNYdude's profile

UpstateNYdude

420 posts in 578 days


#8 posted 399 days ago

If he dropped the price to say $400, anything higher I don’t see how its worth it, to much work and extras needed. If he let the top get that s* who knows what else has happened to it…looks like he stored the thing outside in the rain.

-- Nick, “Discovering the truth about ourselves is a lifetime's work, but it's worth the effort.” ― Fred Rogers, Be My Neighbor

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase