Plywood. Cabinet grade vs. Furniture grade.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by RonInOhio posted 05-29-2013 04:15 AM 15550 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View RonInOhio's profile


721 posts in 2833 days

05-29-2013 04:15 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Admittedly I’m not an expert on lumber and plywood. I did find a good kiln though that will be
my supplier likely of my hardwoods. He gave a resource for cabinet grade plywood.

The other day I came across a reference to cabinet grade and furniture grade plywood. I always thought cabinet grade was furniture grade but I digress.

Can someone point out the differences ? Not just in the plywood, but the cost differences. I’m going to assume furniture grade is more stable and less prone to voids and such. Also I would grade come in a wider variety of veneers.

So cabinet grade would be the premium grade construction grade in plywood ?

And furniture grade would be high quality ply with hardwood veneers on the last layer ?

Or are the two interchangable and really only the outside veneer determines the difference ?

4 replies so far

View upinflames's profile


217 posts in 2131 days

#1 posted 05-29-2013 11:23 AM

Ron, both are considered the same in some areas, the two top grades are N and A. Grade N is limited to 6 repairs per panel, Grade A is limited to 18 repairs per panel.There should be no voids in either grade.

In my neck of the woods I have one supplier with cabinet grade and another with paint grade. The paint grade is of better quality than the cab grade, go figure.
Most hardwood veneers are considered cab or furniture grade.

I can get cab grade pine for around $25.00 a 4×8 sheet, paint grade is $36.00 The other hardwood veneers vary from $38 – $85 a sheet.

As long as the top veneer is the same species, it should mix and match in a build might have to get creative with some dyes instead of stain, if it’s different “brands”.

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

4954 posts in 2462 days

#2 posted 05-29-2013 12:49 PM

It may vary some by manufacturer, but the stuff I get is from Columbia Forest Products. My supplier refers to it as “hardwood ply”, while most folks call it cabinet grade ply. I’ve never heard it referred to as furniture ply. Anyway, within the choices I have (most common hardwoods) the plywood seems to be the same with the exception of the outer veneers (of course). What I get is all graded A-1 (the best), though my supplier has it in lower grades as well. But if you peeled the outside veneers off, I’m not sure you could find any difference in what’s inside…it seems to be poplar plys, and while there is an occasional void, they are few and far between. I mentioned I’ve never heard this stuff called furniture ply, but what I get is easily useable for the finest pieces, and most of what I buy isn’t rotary cut, but rather qtr. sawn or rift sawn plywood. I should add that most of this stuff approaches $100/sheet for 3/4” thick stock.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View RonInOhio's profile


721 posts in 2833 days

#3 posted 05-29-2013 03:40 PM

Appreciate the replies and clarification. I too had not heard of furniture grade until a few weeks

View joeyinsouthaustin's profile


1294 posts in 2041 days

#4 posted 05-29-2013 10:25 PM

+1 to dust people call them all different things… the letter classifications are what is important. read here and here.

-- Who is John Galt?

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics