|Forum topic by AngieO||posted 05-26-2013 02:28 AM||1577 views||0 times favorited||25 replies|
05-26-2013 02:28 AM
It was a very busy and productive day in the woodshop today. As you may know… I’m a mother of four wonderful… and busy children. They all had different things going on. It’s nice to be able to go out to the shop and work on something and be able to walk away… leaving everything where it is… and come back to it. Or just have the kids hang out and talk to me while I work.
Well… I have had this kitchen chair that’s been broken for over a year now. I didn’t want to throw it away so it’s been sitting in the laundry room collecting dust… and junk for quite a while. Today… I decided I was going to fix it. So I grabbed it an took it out to the shop.
The brace (don’t know the technical term) was broken (four kids… wonder how that happened). Here’s what it looked like.
It’s not a great pic. But you can maybe see that the brace is split and breaking off. You’d think it would be easy to remove. But there are bolts attaching it to the leg. Screws into the side supports and then it is also nailed into the side supports. And the screws were stripped. I finally got it off and still in good enough shape to take some measurements so that I can make a new piece.
Here’s the tricky part…. those bolts… THey require large holes. Well i don’t have a drill press. And I don’t have the right kind of bits for my drill….
SIDE NOTE>>>> what are those dang bits called???
... Anyhow… I don’t have those bits to for my hand drill to make those holes either. So… I improvised. I have some other bits… (which I used to know what they were called, but the name escapes me because I have no idea what the ones mentioned above are and i’m frustrated)... but I have some bits to pre drill the hole and to countersink the screw. So… I got the biggest ones of those out that I had and started drilling away. It took a little longer… but I was able to get the holes I needed. That bit was on fire when I tried to take it out.
Then… I had tried to use my Kreg pocket hole jig for the screws. But at the angle I had… I couldn’t get my drill in there to get the screws in. But I finally got them in. It’s strong as all the rest of the legs.
So.. now after over a year… my chair is finally fixed. Now I wont have to go buy a new set of chairs so that I can have all my chairs mataching :)
Then of course I started another project. A doll bunk bed for my stepdaughter. She picked the plans out. It was easier… and harder at the same time. I NEED MORE CLAMPS!!!
Here it is clamped up. I actually only have the hardboard to cut for the mattress to sit on and it’s done. I’ll be posting it in the projects gallery when I get it done.
Again… this is made from pallet wood. And those dang big bar clamps…. I love the price I got them for and that they are available for me to use… but they are just too heavy for a project like this. They are my least favorite to use. I posted this project on my facebook page. A lady friend that I have saw my post and asked my address. Her late husband had some long quick release clamps and the next thing I know she was at my house bringing me the clamps. Now I have two more longer clamps. WOOHOO!!!
It was very productive. And the only reason I’m not out there right now… is that I finally had to come in and do some laundry. LOL! Hope you all are having a great weekend! Thanks for letting me share! :)