|Forum topic by Shawn Masterson||posted 05-12-2013 at 12:22 AM||928 views||1 time favorited||2 replies|
05-12-2013 at 12:22 AM
I started this project 3 years ago with a 3hp motor and a 14” impeller I got from a neighbor. I had been reading Bill Pentz’s pages and when I saw the motor I knew exactly what to do with it. I started by building the blower housing. Then I decided to buy an E-bay cyclone at that time they were $125. I hung the blower and hooked it to the cyclone. Then I plumbed the system with 7” hvac pipe I got for free from coworker that was gutting his house. after I got it all hooked up I fired it up and while sucking up some planer shavings from the floor the 4” flex line I was using plugged and it collapsed 25’ of the hvac line before I could shut it off. that was when I decided I needed 6” pvc so the project went on hold due to lack of money. I finally had the extra money and was tired of wading through the sea of planer shavings on the floor. Here is the final set up after I decided to move it to a different location and got it all plumbed up.
The first barrel I a ghetto dust right setup and then it goes into the cyclone. I chose to go this route for extra capacity when planing. when I can here the shavings rattling in the cyclone its time to dump the barrels. this is to keep me form filling my filters up with dust when I am planing.
The first barrel collects 80% of the dust the cyclone get the rest
Yes I cut a hole in the back of my PM66. The pipe comes in right behind the trunion and collect pretty good
All and all I think the cyclone works pretty good. I think if I had to do it all over I would have gone with the Thien sepperator and saved the money.