Anyone know what this type of connector nut is called?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by jsauve posted 04-14-2013 08:04 AM 13858 views 0 times favorited 14 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jsauve's profile


3 posts in 2104 days

04-14-2013 08:04 AM

Topic tags/keywords: connector hardware unknown question

I’m trying to find out what kind of connector this is. Anyone know? I’ve circled it in red on the image. It’s similar to a cross dowel that would be used with a connector bolt. But as you can see, it’s intended to fit inside of a larger hole and bears the tension differently than a cross dowel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to use these on an upcoming project. Thanks!

14 replies so far

View GrandpaLen's profile


1651 posts in 2506 days

#1 posted 04-14-2013 03:26 PM

Bed Rail Connectors, bed rail bolts

Best Regards, hope this helps.

Work Safely and have Fun. – Grandpa Len.

-- Mother Nature should be proud of what you've done with her tree. - Len ...just north of a stone's throw from the oHIo, river that is, in So. Indiana.

View trippcasey's profile


72 posts in 2157 days

#2 posted 04-14-2013 03:29 PM

Sometimes you can find these in the specialty hardware drawers at your local blue box and orange box store.

-- I almost post pics....until I see the daily top three...then I delete my post.

View Deltawood's profile


40 posts in 3430 days

#3 posted 04-14-2013 03:38 PM

I think those are called half moon nuts, mostly used across the pond so to speak. You can find them on E-bay search bed bolts.

-- - If it ain't broke, don't lend it!

View 1thumb's profile


89 posts in 2390 days

#4 posted 04-14-2013 03:50 PM

View helluvawreck's profile


32086 posts in 3100 days

#5 posted 04-14-2013 04:00 PM

You can usually find barrel nuts quite easily and I think they would work just as well. Mcmaster Carr# furnishes them in a number of sizes. The big box stores usually have the in a few sizes in their special hardware drawers.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View Charlie's profile


1100 posts in 2520 days

#6 posted 04-14-2013 04:32 PM

In a pinch (I’ve done this) you can cut circles using a hole saw, split them in half, drill a hole in them and then use a heavy washer with a regular nut. Make a simple jig first by drilling a hole with the hole saw in something like a piece of 3/4 inch stock. Any scrap will work but make it big enough so you can clamp it in place on your intended “real” stock.

Now remove the pilot drill from the hole saw and use that piece you just made as a drill guide. The stock you use to make the circles should be something pretty hard if you have it. Maple is ok, and oak or ash even better. Just not spruce/pine/fir or similar. When you split the circles in half, pay attention to grain direction. You halving cut should be PARALLEL to grain direction, so when you put the “half plug” in place, the grain runs PERPENDICULAR to the bolt.

Done. It’ll last for years. I have them on my son’s bed now for the last 8 years or so and have taken it apart and moved it twice after installing them. I re-used the same ones. They’re fine. :)

View ScrubPlane's profile


190 posts in 2429 days

#7 posted 04-14-2013 04:48 PM

Check with the manufacturer’s web site…you can frequently pick-up an extra hardware kit for nearly the same as in the stores.

View IrreverentJack's profile


727 posts in 3076 days

#8 posted 04-14-2013 05:25 PM

Check with the manufacturer’s web site…you can frequently pick-up an extra hardware kit

Especially when you explain to customer service that one was missing or damaged.
-Please don’t ask how I know this. -Jack

View jsauve's profile


3 posts in 2104 days

#9 posted 04-14-2013 09:23 PM

Well, even though I’m using a manufacturers image, I don’t actually own that particular bed, nor am I even copying the design.

I actually have own compete design here:

I don’t necessarily need to use the so-called half-moon nut, but it seems like it would be good and easy fastener.

As for the thick main posts in my design, I’m thinking I’ll mortise-and-tenon those.

I really want to use a hard wood for this design, but the cheapest hard wood I could find is Ash. And eben that would be about $400 for all the boards I’d. So, I’m going with a mix of #1 and #2 pine wo wind up with a roughly $130 lumber bill.

View BurtC's profile


103 posts in 3363 days

#10 posted 04-14-2013 09:46 PM

Suggest using Bed Rail Brackets due to safety concerns and very easy to find. There is something similar to what you are looking for at this site page…
Hope this helps.

View 404 - Not Found's profile

404 - Not Found

2544 posts in 3203 days

#11 posted 04-14-2013 11:57 PM

You could also use a half moon washer, insert, threaded bar and nut. This would allow you to make it with no visible fixings.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

21952 posts in 3339 days

#12 posted 04-15-2013 12:47 AM

It looks like it does the same job as a barrel nut which is round and threaded through the side, but it looks to be a stamped nut that does the same thing. If you’re missing one, I’d just get a barrel nut with the correct thread in it. You might have to alter the length if that wood is thin

-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!

View JFBALL's profile


1 post in 548 days

#13 posted 07-16-2017 05:53 PM

View Gilley23's profile


489 posts in 615 days

#14 posted 07-16-2017 06:16 PM

Hopefully by now he’s got it sorted out :)

I found what you are looking for on Amazon


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics