|Forum topic by AngieO||posted 04-14-2013 02:47 AM||1809 views||0 times favorited||21 replies|
04-14-2013 02:47 AM
It was a beautiful day here in Southern Indiana. A little chilly in the wind, but still beautiful. I decided to get out in the workshop and make some sawdust. I didn’t get to do much through the week so I was itching to get out there.
I didn’t have anything in mind so I just got into my pile of free wood that I got last week and grabbed a board. I just started cutting and sanding and routing until I came up with something. I decided to just play with some different things I wanted to try. Here are the three things I made today.
A small crate, a framed in piece of pegboard and a small bench for my daughters stuffed animals.
Yes… nothing special at all. But each had a purpose. The crate started out that I was just cutting down a 1×4. I ended up making the framed ends and using my table saw I raised my blade about an 1/8” and the kerf was just wide enough to insert the hardboard piece. Then I just ended up adding the rest and making a little crate.
Then I found this little piece of scrap pegboard. The pegboard in my shop is janky… yes, I said janky… It all needs to be torn down. I’ve been toying with a few different ideas of what I will put back in it’s place. First I was thinking that I would put up some french cleats (which I probably will end up doing) and then I was thinking that I’d still like some pegboard. The other problem with the pegboard that is hanging up is that it is not raised up from the wall so in some places you can’t even use a peg because the holes are blocked. LOTS of wasted space. So I wanted to try and frame the beg board in so that I could move it around as my shop evolves and so that I don’t have as much wasted space. I used my router table with 1/4” straight bit to make a channel for the pegboard to slide into. This also gave me the opportunity to try out a jig that I had made for picture frames. I never did finish it the way I wanted so I improvised… it worked.
Here’s the jig….
I had originally wanted to attach the bottom L using some sort of hardware and have it where it could slide and then be tightened in place. But since I didn’t… I just got my clamps out and that did the trick.
And finally Brianna had seen some pictures of some little tables and wanted to make something. She got distracted and asked me to finish the project. (luckily she was distracted by her desire to clean her room so that we can switch rooms and start making the beds we have planned). Anyhow… it ended up as a little bench for stuffed animals. Nothing fancy. Just took an old ugly board and sanded it with my ROS, squared up the piece on my table saw, cut the legs out on the miter saw and rounded the edges on my router table. I glued it up, clamped it, then took my nail gun and added a 1” brad in each leg just for extra support. Oh… plus I used my circular saw to cross cut the ugly board….no cross cut sled yet :(
So…. I used every tool I have in the shop today… miter saw, table saw, circular saw, random orbit sander, nail guns, router table… everything except my scroll saw. But I still need blades for that so I can’t use it.
It was a fun day. Now tomorrow I will practice different finishes using the projects I made.
Ohhh…. And I got COVERED in sawdust. Really need to figure out a dust collection system. :)