|Forum topic by runswithscissors||posted 03-31-2013 05:19 AM||1687 views||0 times favorited||13 replies|
03-31-2013 05:19 AM
Ironically, I had just been reading a post a few days ago about repairing a broken bandsaw blade. I have a 14” Grizzly, which I converted to cut metal by putting in a jackshaft and a couple of step pulleys. It’s a real workhorse. I have my local saw shop make me up 1/4” variable pitch bimetal blades. These are able to handle everything from 18 gauge to 1/4” steel (occasionally thicker). So I was cutting a piece of steel for my Unisaw riving knife project when suddenly something went bang, and all came to a stop.
Hmmm, I thought, could be a broken blade. And it was. Since it is the weekend, and the saw shop is closed until Monday, I thought I’d see about fixing it myself. I ground facing bevels (about 1/4” long) on the 2 ends, smeared flux on them, and clamped them, overlapping the ends like a scarf joint. I clamped the blade with the type of welding clamp used for butt joints (don’t know the name of that one). Heated with a propane torch for a few seconds, and the silver solder (I still had a fragment left from previous projects) just flowed right into the joint. And then I ground both sides flat, and we’ll see how it holds up. I suspect I won’t get a lot more life out of it (they typically last me a couple of years or so), and I’ll have to order a new one Monday.
What’s interesting is that I did not do the usual recommended thing of hammering a piece of solder flat and fixing it in between the overlapping ends. I just got the joint hot, and the solder flowed right into the joint.
]I guess my point is (beside a bit of bragging) is that if I can do it, you can do it. It was easier than I thought.
-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened