i need to run a 220 volt outlet for a table saw, how do i put in the outlet?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by michaelsgarage posted 03-27-2013 04:27 AM 8181 views 1 time favorited 65 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View michaelsgarage's profile


71 posts in 2167 days

03-27-2013 04:27 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question

i know nothing about electrical, i don’t even know what question to ask you guys! please help me!

65 replies so far

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 3889 days

#1 posted 03-27-2013 04:29 AM

Do you have a panel in your garage?

If yes, can you open it post a picture here?

If no to 1, you have to look at your house panel and
see what you’ve got going to the garage. If you are
lucky you might have a 30 amp drier circuit that
you can convert to 220.

View a1Jim's profile


117422 posts in 3818 days

#2 posted 03-27-2013 04:35 AM

Hire a electrician ,you could do it yourself but since you have no experience with electricity it will be safer and you can watch how he does it so you can do it next time.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View mjohnsonco's profile


15 posts in 2128 days

#3 posted 03-27-2013 06:15 AM

Not to be a bah humbug, but if you don’t even know what questions to ask than you should probably consider hiring a qualified electrician. Running a 220 requires more than just switching out circuits. You’ll need to run the wire to a new outlet. Or, if you’re re-using an existing outlet, you’ll need to insure that the wiring is the proper gauge to carry the load. It also needs to be properly grounded. Really bad things can happen to you or your home if you don’t wire things correctly. If you were somewhat familiar with household electrical than I would say you could read a book on wiring, but if you have zero experience, than for your safety I would recommend hiring an electrician. As a1Jim pointed out, you can watch and learn if you get a cool electrician. If you’re going to do that than you should pick up and read a book on basic electrical work before hand so that your ‘on the job’ training sticks better. Just my $.02.

View knotscott's profile


8185 posts in 3617 days

#4 posted 03-27-2013 10:05 AM

Even if you end up doing the work yourself, at least get an electrician to consult.

I ran 220v to my TS from an existing drier 220v line. The plug used and outlet type needs to match.

-- Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5243 posts in 2734 days

#5 posted 03-27-2013 11:27 AM

I agree with the electrician part. But if it’s a 3 HP saw, you probably want a 20 amp circuit…a 5 HP saw probably should have a 30 amp. The outlet for 20 amps would be a Nema 6-20 outlet, for 30 amps it would be 6-30. The 20 amp would take #12 wire, the 30 would have #10. Breakers MUST not be oversized for the wire in the circuit, though the wire can be oversized for the breaker. Seriously, the electrician will likely be less than you expect, and you won’t have to screw with this stuff. But it will all start with what your saw requires.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View Sandra's profile


7207 posts in 2316 days

#6 posted 03-27-2013 11:29 AM

I echo the sentiment of hiring an electrician. There are a lot of things I’m willing to figure out on my own, but 220 is certainly not one of them. Besides if you’re looking ahead, you may want more than one outlet, or a sub panel….

-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.

View Woodbum's profile


846 posts in 3307 days

#7 posted 03-27-2013 12:05 PM

Not to be hyper-critical, but by your own admission you are clueless about electricity and should not attempt to do this yourself. Electicity at its worst can kill you or burn down your house if done wrong and at least could harm your machinery. You wouldn’t do home surgery on your appendix based on info from an internet forum…would you? Just my opinion here.

-- "Now I'm just another old guy wearing funny clothes"

View CrazeeTxn's profile


151 posts in 2191 days

#8 posted 03-27-2013 12:39 PM

I’m on the “hire an electrician” bandwagon here. Running 110 is one thing and there’s probably some books about 220, but…too much of a gamble wanting to run a 220 with no experience.

If you have multiple electricians in the area, get a couple of few to come out and give you estimates. You’ll be suprised at the difference in prices for doing to the same job.

View helluvawreck's profile


32086 posts in 3108 days

#9 posted 03-27-2013 12:59 PM

If you do it yourself and make a mistake or come short of the code and that causes a fire or injury, which could even kill someone, what is the city/county government going to have to say about that? What is your insurance company going to say about that? What is the family of someone injured or killed going to say about that? Will they sue you? What if it’s a member of your own family? I know a considerable amount about electricity and I don’t even do my own wiring. Get an electrician with a license and have it inspected. It’s not worth the risk, especially if you don’t know much about it. This is just my two cents worth.

helluvawreck aka Charles

-- helluvawreck aka Charles,

View bannerpond1's profile


397 posts in 2140 days

#10 posted 03-27-2013 01:04 PM

Get an electrician for sure. Not only is 220 potentially dangerous, but if you cause a fire in your home, the insurance isn’t going to like it if you did the wiring yourself. If I were you, I wouldn’t even think of doing it myself. There are some things you just don’t want to do, and this is one of them.

-- --Dale Page

View JCantin's profile


179 posts in 3653 days

#11 posted 03-27-2013 01:13 PM

Just had an electrician put a 220 outlet in for my new 3HP saw. Couple of hundred bucks as I recall.

View gtbuzz's profile


427 posts in 2683 days

#12 posted 03-27-2013 01:47 PM

+1 for hiring an electrician. I recently had my guy come out an install 2 220’s as well as 4 tandem breakers and it was less than $250 (didn’t have very far to go).

I felt like I knew enough to do it myself, and in watching him do everything I probably could have, but if you ask me, the guy that knows “just enough” is really asking for trouble. The overwhelming reason you should hire someone though, is what bannerpond1 said. If I were to have done something incorrectly and started a fire, the insurance company is not likely to cover you if you did you own work.

View JamesT's profile (online now)


102 posts in 2153 days

#13 posted 03-27-2013 02:01 PM

I’m a retired electrician and it’s really not that difficult. However, it’s not worth burning down your house or shop to save a few bucks. Find a friend with basic electrical knowledge or hire an electrician. 120V will hurt you, 240V may kill you.

-- Jim from Horseshoe Bend

View HerbC's profile


1793 posts in 3100 days

#14 posted 03-27-2013 03:25 PM

Actually, 120V will kill you under the right circumstances. If the path for current flow through the body passes through the heart muscle, more than 30 mA of AC current will cause fibrillation. This can occur at 120V if the path for current flow is from hand to hand or hand to foot.

Be Careful!


-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!"

View joesf's profile


25 posts in 2130 days

#15 posted 03-27-2013 03:45 PM

Hire an electrician. It will be done right and you will forget what you paid.

showing 1 through 15 of 65 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics