Parts for chisel handles

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by RussellAP posted 02-13-2013 05:02 PM 1449 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View RussellAP's profile


3104 posts in 2314 days

02-13-2013 05:02 PM

Morning Jocks!
I would like to know where you can get the metal bushings for lathe chisel handles. I want to turn my own handles and make them thicker so my arthritic right hand can hold them easier with less fatigue.

I can’t seem to find parts though. I can find chisels without handles all day, but no bushings to fit them up in the handle.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

9 replies so far

View John Voloudakis's profile

John Voloudakis

12 posts in 1966 days

#1 posted 02-13-2013 05:14 PM

What do you mean by ‘bushings’? If you mean the ‘ferrule’, the metal part that goes around the base of the handle to keep the wood from splitting, an easy approach is to cut off slices of copper pipe in the diameter you want to use, and fit them over a tenon turned to the end of the handle.

There is an article on Doug Thompson’s site on how to make handles. It describes use of brass nuts to make ferrules too, as well as some options for ones you can buy.

Hope this helps,


View waho6o9's profile


8208 posts in 2604 days

#2 posted 02-13-2013 05:18 PM

Some one gets brass or bronze tubing from the big box store and
makes his own.

I forget his name to give credit to, but the results were professional

The plumbing section has compression fittings and other items that
would work well.

View Wildwood's profile


2322 posts in 2162 days

#3 posted 02-13-2013 05:36 PM

You can buy ferrules from Craft Supplies or Packard Woodworks just check sites for sizes & prices.

I just use copper tubing couplings cut in half. Tubing cutter makes life easier than hacksaw.

-- Bill

View bondogaposis's profile


4769 posts in 2379 days

#4 posted 02-13-2013 06:34 PM

I use 1” copper pipe from the big box store.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View RussellAP's profile


3104 posts in 2314 days

#5 posted 02-13-2013 06:47 PM

I can do copper. I guess I should get some and make the handle to fit it. Thanks guys.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View PurpLev's profile


8536 posts in 3676 days

#6 posted 02-13-2013 06:50 PM

+1 on copper tubing from the hardware store, comes in a variety of sizes (1/2, 3/4, etc)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View lumberjoe's profile


2899 posts in 2276 days

#7 posted 02-13-2013 07:36 PM

Depending on the size – bigger brass air tool connectors and plumbing fittings. Brass turns like wood with wood turning tools on a lathe. Put it on, chuck it up, turn the threads off, and sand it smooth.


View ghost5's profile


302 posts in 1959 days

#8 posted 02-13-2013 10:55 PM

I just posted one I did that I used a copper plumbing cap instead of tubing. Simply take the cap and drill a hole the size you need centered in the end then glue in place. I rough up the inside to help the glue hold.

-- Tommy,

View ShaneA's profile


6956 posts in 2626 days

#9 posted 02-13-2013 11:21 PM

You can just google it, there are suppliers out there. LV has them, ebay usually has a seller or two with them.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics