|Forum topic by JesseTutt||posted 439 days ago||2451 views||0 times favorited||41 replies|
439 days ago
The woodworking show is in town this weekend (Saint Louis, Missouri, USA, Earth). I have been going long enough that I recognize various vendors and they remember me. If they are not too busy, and today was not a busy day, I stop by and talk with them.
I picked up various “rumors” that I thought I would share. Take these with a grain of salt as I don’t have anything other than what vendors told me.
1. Delta was bought by Stanly, and then sold to a Chinese company, who has decided to close Delta down. No one knows what will happen concerning parts availability. I heard this from two venders.
2. The woodworking shows has been sold yet again. The new owner has funding to try to improve the show in coming years.
3. General power tools (Canada) is having problems.
From my observations of the show:
1. It is smaller than previous years with fewer vendors. This trend has been happening for several years.
2. The only stationary power tools displayed is Hammer. They had a single table saw ($1995) and a bandsaw.
3. Several years ago, if you arrived a half hour before the show started there would not be any parking, even in the over flow lot. Today there were entire rows open in the main lots and the parking lot never seemed to fill up. Although, people still elected to park in the overflow lots (habit maybe – or wishful thinking).
4. Every seminar I attended today (both on the main floor and the separate rooms) had empty seats. Several years ago seminars on the main floor was standing room only.
5. Sand-Flee is back! They told me that the previous owners of the show were friends with Stockroom Supply (Canada) the sellers of the V-Drum sander and Sand-Flee was told they were not welcome at the show. It is good to have them present.
6. Neither Rockler nor Woodcraft were present. In previous years Woodcraft brought Tommy Mac in for at least 1 day of presentations.
These are just my observations and comments I heard.
-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri