What kind of Plane do I own?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by gsimon posted 02-02-2013 12:43 AM 629 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View gsimon's profile


673 posts in 959 days

02-02-2013 12:43 AM

Topic tags/keywords: plane

Hi All
I found an old plane in our first house and all it has in the cast is Made in USA
It’s 1.5” wide x 8.25” long
Is this for rabbeting?


-- Greg Simon

9 replies so far

View Dallas's profile


3398 posts in 1333 days

#1 posted 02-02-2013 12:55 AM

Yes, but it is also a convertible. It can be changed into a bull nose rabbeting plane.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View gsimon's profile


673 posts in 959 days

#2 posted 02-02-2013 01:00 AM

is that what the extra cavity in front is for?

-- Greg Simon

View Loren's profile


7967 posts in 2494 days

#3 posted 02-02-2013 01:04 AM

It’s a no. 78. Missing some parts unfortunately.


View felkadelic's profile


201 posts in 1386 days

#4 posted 02-02-2013 01:05 AM

Stanley #78 Duplex Rabbet (or clone)

View Don W's profile

Don W

16029 posts in 1414 days

#5 posted 02-02-2013 01:11 AM

I agree. A 78 clone, missing the fence and cap.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. -

View gsimon's profile


673 posts in 959 days

#6 posted 02-02-2013 01:16 AM

excellent – thanks everyone!

-- Greg Simon

View gsimon's profile


673 posts in 959 days

#7 posted 02-02-2013 01:22 AM

I just downloaded the original specs from Stanley for it
I see what you mean now
likely a clone since there are no#78 or Stanley in the body other than “Made in USA”
thanks again

-- Greg Simon

View runswithscissors's profile


1431 posts in 871 days

#8 posted 02-02-2013 03:49 AM

A rabbet plane of that kind will do certain cuts that no other tool (other than laborious hand carving) will do. Namely, it will make a tapered or curved rabbet cut. This is done in building lapstrake boats, where the planks fully lap (except for a slight bevel to give the planks a solid mating surface on a curved hull) throughout most of the length of the hull, but gradually taper toward the ends so that at bow and stern they are flush. The tapered rabbet (both on lower and upper mating planks) allows this joint. It’s not the only way to make the planks flush at the ends, but is the easiest (if you have a rabbet plane) and probably the best. I guess you could call it a tapered shiplap.

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

View mds2's profile


266 posts in 790 days

#9 posted 02-02-2013 04:11 AM

I saw this thread and it reminded me that I have this same exact plane. My brother bought a house last year and it was left in a drawer in the garage. Mine is a bit more rusty but it appears that it is all there. It needs a little tlc but it isn’t bad.

Is this plane supposed to have two irons?

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics