What Is It?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by CWolf posted 01-30-2013 01:59 AM 1124 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View CWolf's profile


32 posts in 3574 days

01-30-2013 01:59 AM

Has anyone seen one of these before? Bought at an estate sale, but with no idea what I would do with it. Looks kind of like a bevel gauge for a table saw that doesn’t tilt. Or could it be for a band saw?

The two main hinged pieces are cast machined aluminum and the angle-iron fence is also aluminum. There are two different mounting points for the miter-slot bar, but neither one allows it to fit my saws. The steel slotted piece has what seems to be an angle scale, but it’s not clear what reference point its markings should line up with in order to read it. It has a couple of slick strips applied to the bottom that allow it to slide very nicely.

5 replies so far

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile


705 posts in 3237 days

#1 posted 01-30-2013 02:35 AM

Looks like a miter gauge for a non-tilting saw. It could come in handy if you can adapt it to your saw, for instance to but the miters for the side pieces of shadow boxes or other small boxes.

You might be able to adapt it to your saw by either drilling new holes in the base plate for the miter slot runner.

Another option might be to move the runner to the second set of holes, then add a piece of wood to build up the tilting plate. This would get your workpiece to the blade so that you could make the miter cuts. Good luck!


-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View Loren's profile (online now)


10254 posts in 3612 days

#2 posted 01-30-2013 03:18 AM

Shopsmith made something like that.

Such fixtures assist in cutting tapers steeper than
45 degrees. On the shaper or router table they
allow presenting the work to the cutter in
a useful way for making certain joints.

View woodworker59's profile


560 posts in 2165 days

#3 posted 01-30-2013 03:27 AM

I was going to say that it looks like something you could use to cut raised panels on the TS, by putting the work piece on the gizzmo you have there and setting the angle to make the cut for the raised portion of the panel.. I am not at all sure, but thats what I thought when I saw the first pic you posted.. could be I am just an Idiot also.. papa

-- Papa...

View madts's profile


1855 posts in 2304 days

#4 posted 01-30-2013 03:42 AM

Waffle maker would be my bet.

-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

View CWolf's profile


32 posts in 3574 days

#5 posted 01-30-2013 03:57 AM

At its steepest setting, the angle is just slightly greater than 45 degrees, so it can’t really do anything I would call a taper (or a raised panel). And I meant to mention that I can’t find any identifying information on it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics