Unisaw switch mounting question

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by snowstorm posted 01-13-2013 08:47 PM 1870 views 0 times favorited 9 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View snowstorm's profile


6 posts in 1980 days

01-13-2013 08:47 PM


I’ve just acquired a unisaw, and would like to remount the switch from its current position which is attached to the cabinet. I’m finding that I have to reach under the fence rail to get at it more than I would like.

I noticed there is a large threaded hole on both the underside of the cast table, and in the unifence rail itself.

Is this intended to mount the switch, on a short piece of threaded rod, or threaded conduit type of pipe?

Photos attached of what I’m referring to. If anyone would be so kind to post a photo of how their switich is mounted this way it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

9 replies so far

View MonteCristo's profile


2099 posts in 2216 days

#1 posted 01-29-2013 07:46 PM

I put a Uniguard on my Unisaw. The switch is mounted on the guard structure and is very handy to get at. Delta makes this add-on but it ain’t cheap !

-- Dwight - "Free legal advice available - contact Dewey, Cheetam & Howe""

View hairy's profile


2720 posts in 3559 days

#2 posted 01-29-2013 08:19 PM

I think this is the switch I’m using. They say memory goes first, I can’t remember. The box and the pipe came from Lowe’s.

-- My reality check bounced...

View joeyinsouthaustin's profile


1294 posts in 2100 days

#3 posted 01-29-2013 08:57 PM

I used a twist bracket my supplier found for me to mount from one of the table bolts. just to give you ideas, If you prefer the switch on the left side. optimum body position puts the switch on the left side, to function as a true bump switch for me.

-- Who is John Galt?

View Scot's profile


344 posts in 3423 days

#4 posted 01-30-2013 11:52 AM

The hole in the uni fence rail is intended for the switch.

-- If the old masters had power tools, they would have used them. So get off your damn High Horse.

View snowstorm's profile


6 posts in 1980 days

#5 posted 01-31-2013 04:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. I noticed that this bracket came with some parts along with my saw.

Is this meant for holding the switch box, or if not, would you know what it is for?

thanks again

View BUBBATAY's profile


57 posts in 2341 days

#6 posted 01-31-2013 04:54 PM

Snow storm i believe it was a bracket for keeping the arbor from moving when it was shipped

View snowstorm's profile


6 posts in 1980 days

#7 posted 01-31-2013 05:26 PM

Thanks, wondering what that red bracket was for

View joeyinsouthaustin's profile


1294 posts in 2100 days

#8 posted 01-31-2013 10:55 PM

If you look at my pic, that is the red bracket attached to the backing plate holding my switch box. It is attached using the table leaf bolt at the top, and to the side of the backing plate at the bottom. I drilled an extra hole to attach it to the backing plate. I puts the switch in a great spot for me. Just proud of the fence rail, and right in line with 6” above my knee.

-- Who is John Galt?

View b2rtch's profile


4861 posts in 3076 days

#9 posted 01-31-2013 11:00 PM


-- Bert

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics