harbor freight dust collector adapter

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Gittyup posted 01-17-2013 09:23 AM 2160 views 0 times favorited 16 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Gittyup's profile


150 posts in 2195 days

01-17-2013 09:23 AM

Newbee here. First time post.

Anyone know where to get a 5” to 4” adapter to fit the 2hp HF DC. All the ones I see are for 5” hose to 4” hose (OD dimension is 5”). For the DC port I need a 5” ID to 4” OD adapter. Any help would be appreciated.

-- tel

16 replies so far

View Kreegan's profile


1452 posts in 2385 days

#1 posted 01-17-2013 03:56 PM

I used a PVC adapter that I got at Menards. It was a bit of a tight fit, but I used some spray silicon and got it on.

View JesseTutt's profile


854 posts in 2349 days

#2 posted 01-17-2013 04:04 PM

PVC at a home center or check with a local HVAC company.

My HF DC came with a 5” to 4” Y adaptor. I just closed off one of the 4” ports and used the other.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

392 posts in 2423 days

#3 posted 01-17-2013 04:05 PM

The splitter that comes with it should fit your needs. just cover one side of the wye. It is not a sharp turn so it should not affect air flow.

View Gittyup's profile


150 posts in 2195 days

#4 posted 01-17-2013 04:10 PM

I bought it used and the splitter did not come with it. So I’m looking for a replacement. Don’t really need a Y, just an adapter. I didn’t think the PVC was sized right for 4” hose to fit directly onto. Will have to visit the HW store and revisit this. thanks for the inputs.

-- tel

View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

392 posts in 2423 days

#5 posted 01-17-2013 04:15 PM

If you find pvc that directly accepts the flex hose from a big box store PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!! it is so frustrating to have to duct tape the two together.

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3209 days

#6 posted 01-17-2013 06:25 PM

I’ve seen some universal adapters in rubber for repair/replacement of old cast iron pipes and such in HD.
They have 3 or 4 sizes stepped from on end to the other. Just cut off the part that is smaller than you need.

View Rich_LI's profile


37 posts in 2202 days

#7 posted 01-17-2013 06:34 PM

I have formed many adapters out of the 4” PVC Drain pipe, using a heat gun. I have made a 5” and a 4 X 5” Square. Make a wooden blank the shape and size you wont, them taper it down to the 4” of the drain pipe. I do this with the 90deg elbows. Start the wooden blank, then start heating the elbow slowly, keep it moving and push in the wooden blank, it helps if you clamp or screw the blank to a bench. with the 4×5 square I made 2 blanks one small to start and then the final size.

-- Rich LI, Life is short, buy more tools !

View Dallas's profile


3599 posts in 2726 days

#8 posted 01-17-2013 06:38 PM

Crank, normally those are known as “Fernco” adapters, made by the Fernco company and others.

I was going to suggest them.

You can get just about any size you need by going online and finding the part number at the Fernco website and ordering it elsewhere or going to the BORG’s.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Gittyup's profile


150 posts in 2195 days

#9 posted 01-17-2013 06:50 PM

Thanks Rich. I don’t have a heat gun and would have to use a propane torch. Certainly worth a try.

-- tel

View Richard's profile


400 posts in 2930 days

#10 posted 01-17-2013 07:01 PM

Cole – Rockler sells an adapter for PVC to flex hose –

-- "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

View rum's profile


148 posts in 2824 days

#11 posted 01-17-2013 07:22 PM

I found some 5” to 4” converters in the AC/Ductwork section of the local home despot for not to much. They have a lot of sharp edges so I used a bit of the “duct sealant” stuff to smooth it out and that works pretty good once its dry (it sticks well and drys moderately hard but not so hard that you can’t sand out a bump or drip).

View MT_Stringer's profile


3183 posts in 3469 days

#12 posted 01-17-2013 07:42 PM

I use a heat gun from Harbor Freight. Works just fine. I searched HF but my model must have been discontinued. They do have others.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View Gittyup's profile


150 posts in 2195 days

#13 posted 01-18-2013 01:59 AM

For now I did what rum did. I found a 4” to 5” adapter for AC/ducting at home depot and that fit pretty good. Seems to work quite well. I have two 25’ runs, used one at a time off blastgates.

However, on my 15” planer I’m getting wood chips pressed into the board. I think this is more an adjustment on the planer, as I just got it and haven’t adjusted it yet. Can’t bring myself to spend $100 for the rotocator thing. Still trying to find someone I can borrow a dial gauge from.

Anyway thanks for the help.

-- tel

View rum's profile


148 posts in 2824 days

#14 posted 01-18-2013 04:43 AM

I get some chips left on my 12” planer as well (it has a 120mm connection so almost 5”), I think its mostly just not having quite enough airflow from the HF system (and maybe a smidge of the collector hood on the planer not being quite perfect). Not a lot mind you, just one or two that escaped every handful of boards. Just to set your expectations nice and low :D

View Gittyup's profile


150 posts in 2195 days

#15 posted 01-18-2013 12:28 PM

I’m getting lots of chips. Read on another forum to remove the foam strip on the underside of the planer top cover and it will work much better. One or two chips I can live with, but not hundreds. And I don’t think it’s air flow. Vacuum seems to keep up. I can barely see the chips disappear into the hose.

-- tel

showing 1 through 15 of 16 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics