LumberJocks

Old Table Saw sold, New one Purchased....NO HEAT - HELP!!!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Safety in the Woodworking Shop forum

Forum topic by Don posted 01-05-2013 06:18 PM 952 views 0 times favorited 16 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


01-05-2013 06:18 PM

Well, I sold my old BT3100 table saw today and have the new Craftex CX200 sitting waiting for me to unpack and set up. Turned on the heater around 09:30, went out at 10:30 and….NO HEAT!

It’s a Mr. Heater Big Maxx heater. I called a couple of places who sell it and all the can recommend is calling the 1-800 number on Monday.

Anyone have another suggestion for me?

I replaced the non-programmable thermostat on a whim and no go.

I’m desperate…...

Don

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca


16 replies so far

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

811 posts in 861 days


#1 posted 01-05-2013 06:25 PM

I use a different Mr. Heater heater that runs off bottled propane, sometimes it will shut off as there was no propane left, but there still is propane in the tank. I discussed this issue with my propane supplier and they said that as as the liquid propane passes through the regulator the liquid to gas process causes a drop in temperature and sometimes this causes a freeze in the regulator that blocks propane flow. Latter it will work correctly since the freeze has melted.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


#2 posted 01-05-2013 06:29 PM

Mine is tapped into our Natural Gas line. Not sure if that would freeze up or not.

We’ve had some pretty cold weather recently but I’ve had it in place for 3 or 4 winters now so freezing shouldn’t be an issue.

Balmy -8 here today.

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

View MNgary's profile

MNgary

236 posts in 1168 days


#3 posted 01-05-2013 06:49 PM

I spent 3 summers back in my college days working on gas appliances (fortunately I was supervised) and wouldn’t think of giving advice to someone unfamiliar with repairing them. However, under “Failure to Operate” your owner’s manual lists things a homeowner can safely check before calling a professional. They include checking the thermostat, is main disconnect closed, tripped circuit breaker, manual shutoff not open, ignition switch in lock out, and a closed pressure switch (likely caused by a blocked flue).

Also, in another section called “Start-up and Operation” a series of steps are outlined that can lead to diagnosing the problem.

Hope you find the solution because I know how impossible it is to delay assembly and use of a new machine!

-- I dream of the world where a duck can cross the road and no one asks why.

View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


#4 posted 01-05-2013 07:12 PM

I’m not going to much more than what they suggest in the manual other than reseat a few wires (power’s off). The blower fan working so it’s got power. The motor fan that comes on prior to heating comes on for about 10 seconds then shuts off so I don’t know if it’s not getting gas causing it to shut off or just not igniting or….?

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

View bullhead1's profile

bullhead1

228 posts in 1000 days


#5 posted 01-05-2013 07:13 PM

I’m no appliance guy but I know that on house furnaces you have to have a different orafice (sp?) for natural gas versus propane.

View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


#6 posted 01-05-2013 07:23 PM

It’s funny that it just suddenly quit working. Power’s there. Not sure if NG (natural gas) is there but have to assume it is…..or is it? :)

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

1242 posts in 776 days


#7 posted 01-05-2013 09:49 PM

I don’t believe natural gas can freeze at normal pressures and temps. Unless there might be water in the gas—but that would be very surprising. Could be a stuck valve? Can’t offer any more as I really don’t know what I’m talking about.

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


#8 posted 01-07-2013 01:49 PM

Well, I ordered a new circuit board for the heater after email-chatting with the Mr. Heater company rep.

Keeping my fingers crossed to be back up and working by the weekend. Still have to unpack and set up the new table saw!

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

1278 posts in 1048 days


#9 posted 01-07-2013 01:59 PM

Friend has that unit and it has ALWAYS been a problem, needed repair three or four times and presently doesn’t work. Too many electronics on things today in my mind. Be interested to watch and see if that solves your issue.

View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


#10 posted 01-07-2013 02:02 PM

This is the first lick of a problem I’ve had with it and have owned for 3 – 4 years so I guess I lucked out thus far.

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

View RetiredCoastie's profile

RetiredCoastie

999 posts in 1934 days


#11 posted 01-07-2013 02:24 PM

If it’s not the board it could be the ignition isn’t working causing the safety valve to close or the safety valve is malfunctioning. I’d check the connectors to those items. Just a thought.

-- www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


#12 posted 01-07-2013 02:30 PM

I’ve reseated the wires for the igniter and sensor with no success. I could have joined the thermostat wires or shunted the terminals where they join but replaced the thermostat instead. The unit has been working fine for a few years and seemed to quit after a power bump on Friday. Worked fine a week ago and then suddenly nothing.

Worst case – I have an extra board for if/when it craps out….

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

3206 posts in 1426 days


#13 posted 01-07-2013 05:15 PM

I guess it has an electronic ignition like most units today. On furnaces there is a switch that seems to go out. If the fire doesn’t ignit in a few seconds then the unit shuts off to keep the gas from building up. Also check the regulator. these do go bad. On cheaper appliances such as cooking grills they are not bery good these days. Fortunately they usually shut the gas off instead of letting it flow full force. If that doesn’t work then it could be time to take it to a certified repairman. I wouldn’t want to read about you on the third page of the paper….that is the page our local paper puts obits on.

View Don's profile

Don

497 posts in 1993 days


#14 posted 01-07-2013 05:22 PM

If the new circuit board doesn’t fix the problem, I’ll be calling in the pro’s.

It’s basically the same type of ‘machine’ as my furnace so I’ll see if my furnace repair company can fix it…

No Page 3 for me Grandpa! :)

-- -- Don in Ottawa, http://www.donebydon.ca

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

1278 posts in 1048 days


#15 posted 01-07-2013 09:09 PM

Pull the circuit board now and look for a short or indication of an arc. I had a washing machine circuit board go after an electrical storm, a $200 part. You may be able to just put a blob of solder over the broken area to get things going again.

showing 1 through 15 of 16 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase