How to put a Drill chuck in tail stock

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by shopmania posted 12-30-2012 03:24 AM 3830 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View shopmania's profile


697 posts in 2063 days

12-30-2012 03:24 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question lathe turning

I have a used Jet 1236 lathe, and have really gotten the bug. I’ve made a bout 50 pens, and half that many wine bottle stoppers, and recently a few duck calls. I got my first Nova chuck, and plan to try my hand at bowls very soon, as I was given a lot of raw wood (logs) recently in cherry and some other nice woods.

I would also eventually like to tackle pepper mills, etc. I know that you can put a drill chuck in the tail stock, but have no idea how to do it. the quill on my tail stock has what I think is called a live center, with a cone shaped point.
The quill travels about 2 1/2”. I learned that I can knock out the cone center with a ling rod. I know from reading online that the tail stock has a #2 Morse taper, but the quill is not tapered, it’s straight. Can I remove the whole live center to put the chuck into the quill? How exactly do I do that? I thought about extending the quill, putting a block between the live center and the tail stock, and then retracting the quill, but I’m afraid to put too much pressure on it. I’ve been searching you-tube and other sites and cannot find any info on how to do this.

Any help is much appreciated!

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

4 replies so far

View Kreegan's profile


1452 posts in 1027 days

#1 posted 12-30-2012 03:40 AM

You need what’s known as a Jacobs chuck. It’s a chuck that’s mounted on a Morse taper. Here’s an example:

I actually use one I got at Harbor Freight for like 15 bucks. Works just fine. It slides in your tailstock just like your tail center. Then you mount the piece to be drilled in the headstock and slide the tailstock into it to drill the piece.

View Dusty56's profile


11743 posts in 2569 days

#2 posted 12-30-2012 04:02 AM

Jacobs is just one brand name for drill chucks. There is also something known as a JT=Jacobs Taper. You most likely have the more common Morse Taper in your lathe. I also have a drill chuck with Morse taper from HF as well as a few others of various sizes. ie: Morse Tapers #1#2#3.
To answer your question , on my JET lathe , I am able to just crank the handle counterclockwise and the Morse taper with center pops right out of its place in the tailstock. It’s so simple it will amaze you : )

-- I'm absolutely positive that I couldn't be more uncertain!

View slotman's profile


108 posts in 1338 days

#3 posted 12-30-2012 04:02 AM

Tim, I have one if you want to stop by & see how it works! They aren’t very expensive.

-- Roger

View tamboti's profile


207 posts in 2022 days

#4 posted 12-30-2012 08:34 AM

Tim I just looked at Roger’s profile and he is in the same area as you go see him and get first hand help and getting to know other turners in your area is great for sharing and learning. Regards Tambotie

-- Africa is not for sissies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics