|Forum topic by yellabret||posted 578 days ago||1442 views||0 times favorited||22 replies|
578 days ago
we are a familiy of modest means so a nicey nice table saw of my dreams will always be just that, especially with my other financially draining hobbies (cameras, surfboards, and mountain bikes) just cant do it all. so my son pooled the wife and sister together, did a ton of research, and found the above table saw for a very sweet price – IMHO anyway. from what he found and i have verified is this is an old respected workhorse that has set the standard for many other step-ups to follow. the gentleman he bought it from is a college prof. and had 2, his other had an upgraded fence so he wanted to unload this one. my son knew nothing going in but being a bright young mech. eng. you can trust his abilities to dig through the muck. he did some refurbishing and the thing looks very sweet indeed, especially for the money.
the fence is stock, so the far side is not tracked and when you clamp the fence it shifts a tad. for the time being i can apply pressure when clamping down to keep it straight, but i definitely want to upgrade the fence. i will not be making fine cabinetry, mostly chopping blocks from exotic woods, and small tables/shelves out of 8/4 live edge slabs (using this for some joinery (dados, rabbets, m&t, etc. NOT trying to work with 6’ slabs on this)
so things i need to know are:
1) what is the best upgrade fence for the money for my purpose? i have researched a bit and it is confusing to figure out if i have to modify the saw or fence to work right etc…...
2) i am also confused about whether a riving knife will fit on this. it looks like there is a mount (see photo), but i am no TS expert but am knowledgeable on safe operation and want this badly, but have read somewhere where people have traded theirs in because of lack of a riving knife
(i am a contributor and student of the “lets see some damage” thread” – should be required reading!) ;-)
3) will likely rewire to 220V, should this be able to cut 8/4 oak? short cuts in 12/4? (1-1/2 HP)
4) obviously need a blade guard as well.
5) any advice for a router table extension?
6) the location of the on/off switch is insane. is a foot switch the best option?
hope all had a great holiday…..!!