What is this finish? Darker at edges/corners than in the middle

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by Mark posted 12-24-2012 05:15 AM 906 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Mark's profile


9 posts in 1888 days

12-24-2012 05:15 AM

Topic tags/keywords: finishing

My grandmother’s clock has a finish which fades to black at the corners. The middles of the panels show wood grain, but out at the edges of the panels it is too dark to make out the grain.

Is there a name for this style of finish? How is it made? Is it just black paint airbrushed along the edges? Or something more elaborate?

7 replies so far

View pintodeluxe's profile


5538 posts in 2682 days

#1 posted 12-24-2012 05:54 AM

Two ways to do it – glazing or tinting.
Glazing is applying a thick stain-like product over a topcoat.
Tinting (sometimes called toning) is spraying a topcoat like lacquer, with pigments mixed in.

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

View CharlesNeil's profile


2172 posts in 3740 days

#2 posted 12-24-2012 05:38 PM

air brushed, works well .

View MT_Stringer's profile


3133 posts in 3100 days

#3 posted 12-24-2012 05:40 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. Our dining room table and chairs look exactly like the pic.

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View DS's profile


2855 posts in 2289 days

#4 posted 12-24-2012 05:43 PM

This is a type of antique-ing (sp?).
After the base stain and sealer, you can tint a top coat and fog the corners ala air-brush style.

ML Campbell even has some spray-on, no-wipe stains that are suitible for this application.

This style was really big in the 60’s and 70’s… Not as much anymore.

-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251

View shipwright's profile


7847 posts in 2667 days

#5 posted 12-25-2012 12:11 AM

I agree with the above but it could also be done with sand shading.

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees.

View Cosmicsniper's profile


2202 posts in 3027 days

#6 posted 12-25-2012 12:34 AM

It’s been toned with a dye-colored finish, IMO. Same technique as a sunburst finish on a guitar, only with a smaller spray gun.

-- jay,

View Mark's profile


9 posts in 1888 days

#7 posted 12-25-2012 12:49 AM

Thanks for the answers everyone, this gives me enough to go research how to do this. (Though maybe if it hasn’t been in style for a long time I’ll want to think twice about whether I should be doing it).

Jay, I was going to ask whether this was the same technique used on guitars. Sounds like it is. Thanks for bringing that up.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics