|Forum topic by Marcus||posted 606 days ago||1052 views||0 times favorited||4 replies|
606 days ago
I thought I would post this in case someone is thinking of purchasing this table saw and was wondering about the install. It’s not so much a review at this point (I havent cut a piece of wood) as it is documentation of the process and first impressions.
I purchased the saw over the web late Monday. It left the warehouse Tuesday and arrived Thursday around noon. I was pretty impressed with UPS freight. My delivery driver was great. I paid for the liftgate service and he dropped it off the truck and then took it around the back of my house for me. We chatted a bit and he was a good guy…I think I was lucky he did the delivery and not someone else, because I dont think they would have done what he did. I tipped him $20 and then went down to get the saw into the house. That
took about 20 minutes to do myself, most of the time setting up a few levers and a rope to get up 6” over the threshold. Moving this box around is doable, but would be much better as a 2 person job.
I cut the box off, unpacked the stuff in the saw and then took a break:
The first and oh so much fun part of the install was removing the rust inhibitor. It has been 10 yrs since I bought a tool new, so I havent had to fight this stuff in a while. I forgot how nasty it is. A little WD40 and a few towels and we were done though.
Next up, I got the saw on the mobile base. I accomplished this by moving the saw to the edge of the pallet so that I could wrap the base around the saw, and then just pushed it off. This worked pretty well, but would have been oh so much easier with 2 people:
Next came adding the wings. You guessed it, much easier with two people, but doable with one person and a couple 2×4’s. The table lines up nice and smooth, so I was happy:
After that, I added it on the power switch. Easy to do with one person! One thing that struck me was odd though is that you need a #8 allen wrench to do this. I don’t recall that listed in the instructions, but I very well could have just missed it. I did not go back to verify:
Up to this point, everything has been going smooth and fitting together great. Then, the motor door. It sags about about 3/8”, which is a good deal considering how small it is. Also, the cord for the power switch is in the way. This can be remedied by twist ties, but a bit annoying:
Next, the dust port. This is my only other complaint of putting the saw together. The screws were really tight into the back. I start stripping one out even. Not a huge deal, and just being picky more than anything:
The lock and handle for the angle adjuster come uninstalled. Both of these two pieces are just sexy, no other word for them. Great looking solid and shiny…I want to use them as gear shifters in the car:
The rails come in a separate box with separate instructions. They’re not near as nice as Grizzly’s manual (which is great by the way), but passable. This was probably one of the longest part of the install. I took a lot of time making sure everything was perfectly level and that the gap between the table and fence was just right.
Next is the fence. Now I will admit, I have never been a guy for fences (I know, I know). I am going to give this one a fair shot. It looks and feels fairly well constructed and has great visibility.
Finally, I decided to rewire my outlet to the ceiling. I was stretching it too far as is and it was a tripping hazard, and I liked the idea of the ceiling so that I can take advantage of the mobile base. For ripping a long piece of wood, I can just move the saw over and open the door:
I did a quick start up, and was relieved to hear a nice whirling sound. I was kind of surprised and the noise/vibration at start-up. I was expecting it to be whisper quiet from reviews I’ve ready. I just need to give the top a good coat of wax and I’ll be ready to go.
I’ve hoping to get the basement cleaned out (its embarrassing looking at some of these pictures) and start using it tomorrow. A review should be following next week (hopefully).