|Forum topic by ,||posted 11-29-2012 04:00 AM||886 views||0 times favorited||8 replies|
11-29-2012 04:00 AM
OK, so I posted a recent post related to getting the wrong sized cabinets from a contact I have. Basically my contact’s wife works for a very large cabinet manufacturer. They do semi-custom in increments of 3”.
So we were hired on a job for 10 apt size kitchens. I spoke with my contact about this job. He was real excited as it was a good sized job.
1. I gave the contact the hand written design that was given to me by the GC. My mistake number 1.
2. Contact gave me fair numbers, he STD price is …... delivered and installed’. I repeated his proposed bid and he confirmed I heard him correctly. Boy was I excited.
3. Cabinets were ready for pick up, contact came to me STD needed help picking up 90 cabinets because it would take him too many trips. Being the nice guy I picked up 50 of the cabinets myself.
4. GC needed installation completed in 2 days. BUT my contact works alone, which I don’t mind except for the fact he knew the scope of the job and committed to it. So it was me, my wife, a retired wood worker who jumps in with me from time to time, and our full time guy. And my contact helped a little.
5. The vanity size was wrong. It was written correctly on the design I gave my contact. Oooops! My contacts remedy was for me to pony up 2000 more and let the mfg build new vanities with a 2 week wait. We just handled it internally at our shop and corrected the vanities and amazingly enough, they turned out great and everything installed within my scheduled 2 days.
6. My contact did not even provide me a receipt for the large sum of money I gave him for the cabinets. My error as I forgot to ask for one.
The GC was very impressed with us and has verbally indicated we will get his upcoming jobs. He advised me they are doing 100 more units, but will do them 20 at a time. The GC told me they will begin construction on the next 20 in the next couple weeks and warned they will need those next 20 kitchens fairly soon.
To get a jump on things, I explained my undesirable situation with my contact to the mfg. They are currently refusing to sell to me, adv I will need to go through my contact. They STD they will not get in the middle of anything. Indicated to me they do ‘look out for their people’. I told them I thought it was illegal to refuse to sell to me. They responded that they would have their lawyer call me. I have not heard from him yet.
Oh well. So I have been feverishly hunting for good quality budget cabinets. Looks like we might be stuck with RTA. Hopefully we can work things out.