federal secretary desk

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by jimmac posted 11-28-2012 04:20 PM 1336 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jimmac's profile


9 posts in 2437 days

11-28-2012 04:20 PM

Topic tags/keywords: victorian

I am looking for the hardware used to auto extend and retract the writing shelf supports. Also the hinges. I purchased the plans from Rocklers and they have hinges ( not what is shown in the plan set) but do not list anything for the shelf support system. Since I already cut the material to the plan I am stuck with either pitching out very expensive veneered plywood or locating the hardware .Anyone out there build this item per the plan?
Just for the record the plans are somewhat sketchy in that they refer to detail on page 96 which does not exist in the plan set.
Being a beginner in woodworking the plans to me were missing a lot of other detail.


-- James Mack

2 replies so far

View MonteCristo's profile


2099 posts in 2274 days

#1 posted 11-29-2012 07:52 PM

Try Lee Valley or Horton Brasses.

-- Dwight - "Free legal advice available - contact Dewey, Cheetam & Howe""

View jimmac's profile


9 posts in 2437 days

#2 posted 11-30-2012 01:01 AM

Thanks, I drove the 20 miles to a Rockler’s and one of the “experienced staff” was able to find the parts. Again thanks for the help, I need all I can get on ths undertaking. I only wish that I had calculated the final height before starting. The desk is more Child size than adult.

-- James Mack

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics