Lathe chisels and gouges, which one?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by RussellAP posted 11-26-2012 03:33 PM 1030 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View RussellAP's profile


3104 posts in 2526 days

11-26-2012 03:33 PM

I have a pretty good set of chisels with a couple bowl gouges parting tool, spindle gouge and a skew.
I’m going to make some bowls and I need a good tool to hollow out the bowl. It seems everything I have wants to be thrown to the outside of the bowl when I turn it and I cant get it smooth. I think one of the problems is the dry walnut I’m using. I’ve heard it’s much easier to turn green wood.

So can you recommend a good tool to hollow out the bowls? I need to know what it’s called so I can look around at several brands before I buy.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

1 reply so far

View Kreegan's profile


1452 posts in 2387 days

#1 posted 11-26-2012 03:50 PM

Are you drilling a pilot in the middle of the bowl with a drill? I’ve watched Richard Raffan do that, and then use a round nose scraper to hollow the bowl. I think that’s also a large part of what you use a bowl gouge for. Generally gouges are used for removing material, so it stands to reason that’s what you’d use a bowl gouge for. I’ve not turned any bowls yet, just watched videos, so take my advice with a giant nugget of salt.


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics