is this a hand plane or hand jointer?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Holbs posted 11-17-2012 02:31 AM 693 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Holbs's profile


841 posts in 1026 days

11-17-2012 02:31 AM

at some local auction…they are selling antique planes. if i’m not mistaken, this is a jointer?

3 replies so far

View walden's profile


1232 posts in 1019 days

#1 posted 11-17-2012 02:39 AM

Looks like a raised panel plane. They are the same size as a jack plane, but have the side fence and angled sole. They are used for cutting the angles on the panels for cabinet doors if I’m not mistaken.

-- "I am hiring a realtor if and when the day comes a lion is on my roof."

View Holbs's profile


841 posts in 1026 days

#2 posted 11-17-2012 02:45 AM

i see lots of these type of antiques at auctions and garage sales. i’m just learning woodworking, but everytime i see stuff like this, i try to buy them. must be something inside of me from a previous life… hmm

View Loren's profile


7967 posts in 2644 days

#3 posted 11-17-2012 04:09 AM

A tongue plane. Makes a matching tongue for a groove cut by
a plow plane.


Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics