|Forum topic by Betsy||posted 08-15-2008 07:16 AM||1413 views||0 times favorited||27 replies|
08-15-2008 07:16 AM
I had a very scary experience tonight.
I want to get everyone to think about their electrical outlets.
My house was built in the early 70’s and as a result, it has a lot of aluminum wiring. There is nothing wrong with that type of wiring if it’s installed correctly. In fact, any wiring can have something go wrong with it.
Tonight when I went to bed I hit the remote to elevate my electric bed (it’s great for a bad back/neck) and sparks flew out of the wall. I’m sure it was not quite like the 4th of July, but it felt like it. I can honestly say I’ve not moved that fast in quite some time. I quickly unplugged the cord and reached for the wall to see if it was warm/hot. It was a touch warm. I am very thankful that I live close to a fire station. I called 911 and within 2 minutes tops I had 2 fire trucks and 3 supervisor cars with a contingent of firemen here.
The men went through my entire house and attic and checked everything out for me. They determined that the plug had worked it’s way loose and was sparking. When they plugged the cord back in it did it again and so we’ve determined that I need to get an electrician out here to replace my plugs and do a whole house electrical check. They went through and also used a piece of equipment that apparently can detect heat in the walls to check to be sure there was not any hot spots in the house. They turned off the breakers to that part of the house which makes me feel a bit more secure being here.
The other thing I am quite thankful for is cell phones. When I unplugged the cord, I also unplugged my phone – but I, thankfully, knew where my cell phone was and was able to call 911 very quickly. If it was not for cell phones I would have had to go knocking on doors to get someone to help me – those few minutes can mean a lot.
I must say it was a scary moment and I’m quite sure I’m not going to get any sleep tonight. In jumping out of bed I think I may have hurt my neck a little bit, so I’m going to have to see how that goes. I think it may just be the scare factor and stress – but I’m going to get out the medication and nip it in the bud.
Number one task tomorrow—- call the electrician – thankfully my boss has a good friend who is a qualified electrician. He’ll be getting some new business tomorrow.
Long and short though folks—- check those outlets.
And the next fireman you see——THANK HIM OR HER!
-- "Our past judges our present." JFK - 1962; American Heritage Magazine