12 inch table saw 220 volt now needs to be 120 volt help!!!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Jeffery Mullen posted 11-13-2012 08:03 AM 4028 views 0 times favorited 22 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Jeffery Mullen's profile

Jeffery Mullen

345 posts in 2782 days

11-13-2012 08:03 AM

Got a table saw given to me that hooks up to a 220 house current plug in would be like plugging my house dryer in the socket to dry my clothes with. Would like to know how to change the wiring to a 120 current plug in . The rest of my shop tools runs on 120 house current volt when I plug them in and use them. I suppose it would help with the name of the brand o the table saw and more info but don’t have that in front of me right now. any ideas any one?? Thanks much .

-- Jeffery Mullen

22 replies so far

View Loren's profile


10260 posts in 3612 days

#1 posted 11-13-2012 08:09 AM

There is a chance you can rewire it to run on 120v. First
you need to look at the plate on the motor and
tell here what the rated amperage is.

View Jeffery Mullen's profile

Jeffery Mullen

345 posts in 2782 days

#2 posted 11-13-2012 08:48 AM

Ok I will look at the motor.

-- Jeffery Mullen

View b2rtch's profile


4851 posts in 3013 days

#3 posted 11-13-2012 11:21 AM

Dito, how big is the motor?
How many amps does it draw?
It might be too much to run on 110Volts especially if your circuit is only 15 amps.
Is the motor made to run on 110Volts? If yes you should have a schematic on the the connection box on how to wire it. It probably also can be wire to run in one direction or the other direction.
Running this motor on 110 volts might also cause you to loose some power as the wire in the wall might be “too small ” to carry the full necessary current.
In the worse case scenario, the wires being to small a gauge would get very hot and cause a fire to start.( imagine an electric heater in your walls) Then you also have to check your circuit breaker for the correct amp

-- Bert

View Sergio's profile


470 posts in 2657 days

#4 posted 11-13-2012 11:28 AM

A transformer would do it in a clean way, but Bert is right, amperage is higher in lower voltage, so please take care. Below a link to a Ebay offer. It is 220-120 but you can just reverse and it will work, you just have to check the available VA capacity of the transformer.

-- - Greetings from Brazil - --

View knotscott's profile


7980 posts in 3340 days

#5 posted 11-13-2012 12:33 PM

Some motors are convertible between 110v and 220v….it should say right on the motor plate. If the motor is convertible and is less than 2hp as stated on the motor plate, it stands a good chance of being able to run on a standard 110v circuit. As Bert stated, it’ll really boil down to the amp draw of the motor, and the particular circuit your going to run it on.

-- Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

View CC68's profile


8 posts in 1985 days

#6 posted 11-13-2012 01:20 PM

if its hooked up for 220v and if you have any room in your box all you need is to buy a30amp breaker and wire it to 220v all it is is 2 120v breakers made into one . yes you would have to spend soon money but in the long run you might get another tool that has 220v on it. When i got my delta unisaw thats what i had to do but i had already put a 220 breaker in for my compressor I hooked the saw up to that because they don’t run at the same time!
If you havea 220v dryer you have 220 there. if the guy had it hooked up for 220 he probly hand to because the motor can only run on that or he wanted to save enrgey HAVE FUN WITH IT AN JUST SEE IF YOUR ABLE TO HOOK 220 TO IT U WON’T REGET IT!

View Bluepine38's profile


3379 posts in 3050 days

#7 posted 11-13-2012 03:09 PM

A 12” saw probably needs that extra voltage and power to operate correctly, so I agree with CC68.

-- As ever, Gus-the 79 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Swyftfeet's profile


170 posts in 2136 days

#8 posted 11-13-2012 04:23 PM

Just dispelling a myth about 220 vs 110. No real calculable savings in energy. You’ll pull the same amps.

-- Brian

View Cosmicsniper's profile


2202 posts in 3123 days

#9 posted 11-13-2012 05:31 PM

Brian…you pull different amps, it the power (watts) that is the same. But you knew that, didn’t you? ;)

-- jay,

View hoosier0311's profile


706 posts in 1990 days

#10 posted 11-13-2012 05:38 PM

Im certainly not a electrician, but I play one on tv,,,,,,,,never mind.
If it were me I think I would get an electrician involved with this one. Running a 220 line isn’t tough but there are risks involved. I know enough about current to get a ”%$#@ shocked outta me or start a fire, or both. Be careful with this my friend.

-- atta boy Clarence!

View Swyftfeet's profile


170 posts in 2136 days

#11 posted 11-13-2012 05:43 PM

God no coffee will kill you… I meant watts duh. Half the amps you are correct sir. Degree goes to the shredder!

-- Brian

View Cosmicsniper's profile


2202 posts in 3123 days

#12 posted 11-13-2012 06:07 PM

My guess is that the amount of money and effort required to make that conversion, if possible, would be more difficult than running 220v. My 3hp Unisaw pulls 13 amp at 220v. Some 220v motors pull 22 amps or more. Either one of those, if possible, would require special 110v circuits with 10 gauge wire and bigger breakers…neither of which your current building will have.

The exception is if the motor is less horsepower and its switchable between voltages, whereas its been wired for 220v and just needs to be switched to 110v. That’s very likely in your case.

Still, I’d build a splitter or second outlet myself to piggyback off the dryer outlet…and/or run a long extension, just plugging/unplugging as you need them. Regardless, youd likely still need the extension. This can be done DIY, but it can get a little pricey. But it does keep the motor at 220v.

You need to know the motor first. Otherwise, it’s just speculation.

-- jay,

View crank49's profile


4030 posts in 2936 days

#13 posted 11-13-2012 06:39 PM

Just put a 220v circuit in the shop and be done with it.

A transformer will not be practical. To handle the current draw of the motor it would be bigger than the motor, will loose a portion of the energy it is converting to efficiency loss and will cost way more than the saw. The transformer someone linked to on eBay was a 100va. That would be overloaded running a 100 watt light bulb. You would need at least a 3000va, probably more, to run a 12” saw which probably has a 3 or 5 hp motor in it.

Even if you have a motor that can be rewired for 120v the rest of the saw controls might have to be rewired or replaced to run on 120v.

View texas's profile


11 posts in 1986 days

#14 posted 11-13-2012 10:53 PM

Just put a 220v circuit in the shop and be done with it.

Second that. You’ll be glad you did. I ran my own circuit for my new Delta Unisaw… it is not hard.

View REO's profile


928 posts in 2039 days

#15 posted 11-13-2012 11:14 PM

the saw control circuit is most likely run off of only one leg of the 220 or 110 anyway. even if the nameplate says it cant be wired for 110 it can. It is easy to remove all doubt if you read the nameplate. that will tell you the HP and the current requirements. If at more than 20 amps in most instances you will have to pull a new circuit and may as well go 220 for that. If less than 20 amps you have a chance and need to check the breaker for the circuit you intend to use. For the most part accept for bedrooms circuits with outlets have been 20 amp circuits. as several have said check the motor plate!

showing 1 through 15 of 22 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics