LumberJocks

DC Dust Deputy Marriage

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by RyanIra posted 627 days ago 1758 views 1 time favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View RyanIra's profile

RyanIra

27 posts in 930 days


627 days ago

I wanted to incorporate an Oneida Super Dust Deputy into my system but also wanted to reduce the footprint. I disassembled the DC, and rotated the blower 90 degrees. This required a transition piece that my welder buddy made from scrap 1/8” steel. You could use hose as well, but the spool piece is skookum.

The large duct between the blower and ring is no longer required.

I built a support structure and screwed it to the wall. Here is the unit assembled.

The black support rod for the ring was now too short to reach the floor. I just drilled two holes through the rod and screwed it to the wooden support structure. The end is kinda just hanging there and I might fabricate a more elegant solution later.

In this configuration, you need to lift the barrel up to the lid, so I made a crude little cart with a lever system. A wedge keeps it tight against the lid and takes the weight. To dump the barrel, pop out the wedge drop the barrel and wheel away. Reverse for reinstallation.

I cut a hole and glued on some lexan so that I can peek inside to see when the barrel is getting full. A small LED flashlight helps with this.

Of course, for a taller barrel, the entire assembly would have to be higher. No doubt this would be desired by those who plane a lot of lumber. It would be easy to just lift the blower/Deputy assembly and use hose between that and the filter ring, but more floor space would be required and I didn’t want to give up the space where the computer and stereo are now. I will just dump the barrel more often.

This system works great. Hardly any dust makes it into the bag, and suction is very robust. Very happy.


7 replies so far

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

3075 posts in 1535 days


#1 posted 626 days ago

I did very similar thing. It works great so far.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View RyanIra's profile

RyanIra

27 posts in 930 days


#2 posted 626 days ago

lanwater, that looks very compact. Terrific. It is easier to do with hose between the two components for sure.
How are you supporting the blower? Is the Dust Deputy taking all the weight on that ring? How do you stop it from tipping side to side? How to you handle the drum?

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

3075 posts in 1535 days


#3 posted 626 days ago

Yes the motor is sitting right on the top with no support. That’s one of the 2 weeknesses I identified.
The other being the wheight of the motor potential bending the cage of the impeller. The metal there is thin and held originally with few screws.
I plan a 2.0 version but like anything else it is waiting. Suprizingly there is very little movement on the blower when I move the DC around.

I lift the whole cyclone part with 2 cheap clamps from “HF in spreader mode”; all I need is about an inch to clear those bolts. That part works pretty good. You can see the spreader on the side in this picture.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

3075 posts in 1535 days


#4 posted 626 days ago

The spreader lift the plywood only which in turn lift the deputy and the motor.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View RyanIra's profile

RyanIra

27 posts in 930 days


#5 posted 626 days ago

Ianwater,

A word of caution if you want to support the motor using the motor base (which is what you should do). The uprights on mine that support the weight needed to be very strong. I originally used one 2×4 but it flexed considerably. I had to screw another 2×4 on top of the first one to stiffen it up. Of course if you know a welder, a metal frame would be much better. Mine is not mobile, but I don’t need it to be. A metal frame would work better if mobility is required. I am still amazed at how well this works.

View exelectrician's profile

exelectrician

1478 posts in 1029 days


#6 posted 626 days ago

RyanIra You did a fantastic job of this, reducing air drag, and footprint at the same time. Really fantastic something that onida ought to copy.

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

3075 posts in 1535 days


#7 posted 626 days ago

Thanks for the info RyanIra. I have been debating 2×2 vs a tubular structure. I am leaning toward a tripod style of frame for the motor.
I am also tempted to cut a circle on the top of the deputy and remove the impeller cover so I can join the two; I think I will get more suction.

anyway you got a great setup and that welded piece was a great idea.

Thanks!

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase