Where do I find this Pen Blank Drilling Clamp / Vise?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by NoviceWoodworker posted 10-18-2012 04:49 PM 2525 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View NoviceWoodworker's profile


17 posts in 2359 days

10-18-2012 04:49 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

I’ve been watching videos done by George Vondriska on the WWGOA website and while watching the pen turning video saw a vise (clamp) for pen blank drilling on a drill press. On the video he said that it was a commercially made clamp (which is made of wood) and I am wondering where I could find one like it. This is not something I would want to build, however. Thanks for any help.

6 replies so far

View TrBlu's profile


386 posts in 2619 days

#1 posted 10-18-2012 06:32 PM

Can you capture a screen shot and post a pic. Or maybe post a link. The videos are only available to members.

-- The more I work with wood the more I recognize only God can make something as beautiful as a tree. I hope my humble attempts at this craft do justice by His masterpiece. -- Tim

View NoviceWoodworker's profile


17 posts in 2359 days

#2 posted 10-19-2012 03:12 PM

Here are 2 screenshots (not the best one side view and one back), but it does show what I’m looking for. Thanks.

View jusfine's profile


2422 posts in 2919 days

#3 posted 10-19-2012 04:30 PM

Lee valley also makes a very nice aluminum one which I have used. Excellent quality!,41659

-- Randy "You are judged as much by the questions you ask as the answers you give..."

View moke's profile


1175 posts in 2770 days

#4 posted 10-19-2012 08:09 PM

I bought one at the rockler affiliate here in town. I don’t think it is available any more. This one appears to be home made. It was an attachment to the drill press table they still sell. I have one.
If you ever become interested in making one let me know and I will send you a tracing of mine. It would be easily made with your drill press, a band saw, and your table saw. This one looks to be used with no fence or dp table, but it would be much more stable with some sort of additional support, like the dp press table fence.

I have used it occasionally lately, but I drill 98% of my blanks on my lathe….once you get used to it, it really seems easier.

-- Mike

View NoviceWoodworker's profile


17 posts in 2359 days

#5 posted 10-20-2012 12:30 PM

I don’t have a bandsaw and was really hoping this was available for purchase. I do appreciate your help.

View PCTNWV's profile


99 posts in 2798 days

#6 posted 10-20-2012 01:29 PM

Mine came from Rockler but they do not seem to sell them anymore. I use mine from time to time as it does a great job on holding odd shaped items. I use this most of the time for regular blanks:

-- Troy, Virginia

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics