Still getting to know my Sawstop ICS so today I checked the runout on the arbor flange. Less than 0.001” but I could see some movement on the needle. There is actually a number scratched into the arbor flange 0.0064 which I assume is millimeters or about 0.00025”. It looked like more deflection than that on my gauge. Maybe more like 0.0005 or so but impossible to say with my 0.001 gauge. Either way, I have only a little runout.
I also have a nice Ridge blade which is nearly flat but probably not quite. So I got it in my head to see if I could get the two inaccuracies to cancel.
‘I made a scratch on the left side of the arbor flange in the center of one the wrench flats. Then I numbered my blade with a sharpie every 90 degrees at the laser relief cuts. With number 1 lined up with my mark I measured the runout at the outer radius at each 90 degree point. Got about 0.003” runout. A little less for the number 2 point. And then just barely over 0.001” on the 3rd point. Went back up on point four.
I made a sharpie mark on the blade under the arbor flange at the point that gave me the minimum runout so I’ll know how to line the blade up each time. In my defense I did resist the urge to check every 45 degrees. On the other hand, I will probably do this with each of blades next time I have some idle time.
Sometimes two wrongs do make a right.