Anyone know what these are?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by MikeInNOVA posted 09-26-2012 12:18 AM 2468 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View MikeInNOVA's profile


13 posts in 2539 days

09-26-2012 12:18 AM

My mother-in-law let me go through her father and grandfather’s tool chests in her basement this weekend. One of the chests belonged to her grandfather who was a carpenter for a railroad in PA and as far as she knows hasn’t been opened since about WWI. More on that later.

Amongst her father’s tools were a set of chisel-like items I’m not familiar with. The have pointed ends, beveled sides and are curved like a spoon at the end. I’ve attached a photo of all five and well as a photo of the ends with one of them turned on its side so you can see the curve.

Anyone know what they are, and how they are used?

- Cheers, Mike

2 replies so far

View paratrooper34's profile


915 posts in 3188 days

#1 posted 09-26-2012 01:05 AM

View exelectrician's profile


2328 posts in 2664 days

#2 posted 09-26-2012 01:57 AM

Yep! Metal bearing scrapers used in conjunction with bearing blue to find the high spots. Sigh, those were the days ….

-- Love thy neighbour as thyself

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics