Electrical short

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by mark76wa posted 09-17-2012 05:35 AM 961 views 1 time favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View mark76wa's profile


97 posts in 3360 days

09-17-2012 05:35 AM

I’m not sure what happened. I plugged in my contractor saw, made a few cuts with no problem. When I went to unplug it I was these pics.

The wall side has no marks or anything. There was no bogging or anything that would indicate a power drain. I didn’t see a flash (the plug was behind the saw and on the ground though) nor did I smell anything.

Any ideas? And more importantly, what do I do know?


5 replies so far

View fussy's profile


980 posts in 3016 days

#1 posted 09-17-2012 07:46 AM

Put a new plug on your saw (making sure to get the right amperage rating) and throw away the extension cord/multi-tap.


-- Steve in KY. 44 years so far with my lovely bride. Think I'll keep her.

View Tennessee's profile


2860 posts in 2479 days

#2 posted 09-17-2012 10:47 AM

Pretty much agree with Steve. What happened is the extension cord connection inside the orange plug more than likely became loose, causing the arc inside the extension cord. 120VAC can jump with the right amperage, and your saw was drawing it, so the arc happened.
You need to obviously replace the plug on the saw, and I would buy a heavy duty extension cord with only one plug on it.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View EEngineer's profile


1101 posts in 3578 days

#3 posted 09-17-2012 11:50 AM

I don’t believe this was a short either. Like Tennessee, I suspect a loose connection inside the orange extension cord. I don’t like those cheap damned extension cords – I’ve had way too many failures like this. They get “tired” after a lot of use and just don’t maintain enough pressure to guarantee a good contact. Also, that cheap molded plug on your saw doesn’t look like it is rated for heavy current. Is that what came with the saw originally?

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View mark76wa's profile


97 posts in 3360 days

#4 posted 09-18-2012 12:38 AM

Thanks guys. I’ll chuck the orange cord and put a new plug on my Saw.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile


18246 posts in 3641 days

#5 posted 09-18-2012 03:34 AM

Yup, just wore out and got too loose. Happens all the time ;-)

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics