Edge Tool?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by chuckcom posted 09-12-2012 09:15 AM 862 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View chuckcom's profile


1 post in 2050 days

09-12-2012 09:15 AM

Topic tags/keywords: chisel question

I am trying to find out what these edge blades are.
I have been told they are a coopers tool but I can’t find anything on the web that shows them.
I feel with the removable hook on the end they were meant for quick change out.
I am at a loss.
3 photos attached.

I’m just a newbie so sorry about all the photo not showing.
Back in the 50s I do remember going to a wooden shoe factory in Holland MI. They did use an item like these blades for rough carving the shoes. Thanks for refreshing my memory. I might sharppen one up & see what damage I can do with it. Photos to follow.

2 replies so far

View racerglen's profile


3112 posts in 2747 days

#1 posted 09-12-2012 10:12 AM

Chuck, I’ve seen blades like these used in making wooden shoes.
the hook’s slid into a ring mounted on a block or stump, the wood held on the block, then
the blade is brought down, much like the paper cutters you used to see in school, but were never allowed
to touch.

-- Glen, B.C. Canada

View mtenterprises's profile


933 posts in 2660 days

#2 posted 09-12-2012 11:18 AM

I’ve seen them used to trim out barrel heads, cutting a round circle out of the laid up head section used the same way as racerglen says.

-- See pictures on Flickr - And visit my Facebook page -

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics